Crossover problems

Users who are viewing this thread

cw80

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Our building is currently using one tankless water heater for 8 units. Some units complaint been experiencing hot water fluctuations during shower, our HOA had plumber to diagnose and found hot water crossover issues from some units and now plumber suggest to change all units fixtures to Grohe only even the good working one needs to be replace to Grohe. Now our HOA is forcing all units to buy Grohe only fixtures and I am wondering does that make senses? Will this eliminate variables for future problems? I am questioning the right they have to forcing us buying Grohe only products.

Thanks in advance.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I doubt that they can, but I also question whether the diagnosis was correct, since most "crossover" issues can be corrected, unless your tub/shower valves are Mixet brand, and even then an aftermarket item can fix them also.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
A second opinion from another plumber is needed.
Your HOA may have hidden interests hiring this plumber, who came out with a nice plan to sell very expensive faucets to captive customers.

cw80

Reaction score
Hello guys

Thanks for replying. our shower/tub are using the the same valve and are brand new since we remodel our bathroom two years ago. The HOA said they have used many plumbers and they all saying the entire building should use the same brand. I have ask around and what I heard is that using the same brand is not necessary but our HOA does not believe that. This is really frustrated.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you can convince your fellow owners, you might convince the board. I don't think the board typically is required to always be right as long as they mean well. Careful about complaining. They might elect you to the board.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If EVERYONE in the building had to have the same valves, it would linit their creativity when they wished to remodel. The ONLY time everyone has the same valves is when the building is constructed.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Nearly any decent new valve is pretty much immune to cross-over issues. That is not necessarily true of some older models and brands. IMHO, they should only have control over external issues, and safety ones; they should not have the authority to tell you which valve to buy. Read your by-laws. The board may have the right to change things, but often, it requires a vote of the owners on something like this...it cannot be an edict. External conformity is typical, internal, generally not, but it should be covered in the 'rules', which, at least where I live, is a legal document, filed with the state and amendment's have to be made with concurrence of those involved, and filed with the state.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
HOAs routinely make up new rules when they come across new problems - all to show the home owners "who's the boss". Many times they rule in such ways to profit and to receive kick backs.

I don't suggest you stir up waves, but there are lawyers who specialize in HOA litigation, and maybe a quick call to one of those will clarify what you the limits are on the associations and what you can do.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks