Critique my Electrical Plan

Users who are viewing this thread

Yankee1423

Reaction score
Want to have a plan to present the electrician. I may try to run most of the circuits myself back to the box and let him do the rest. I wasn't sure if it would be advisable to go to 20 A w/ 12/x on some of the circuits such as the can lights. Currently the basement has a 15A circuit for outlets and one for the lights. I have 8 slots left on the panel.

Large Diagram Link: http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/1725/basementf.png

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
The receptacles within 6 feet of the wet bar sink and the one in the bath must be GFCI protected.

A smoke alarm must be at the bottom of the steps and interconnected to all the other smoke alarms

A lot of overkill but compliant

Yankee1423

Reaction score
I planned on the GFCI protection for those receptacles. Just didn't get that on the plan evidently. When you say it is overkill, could you provide some specifics or an example of where it may be overboard? I am certainly open to suggestions.

Chris8796

Reaction score
1. I don't see a 3-way to the top of the stairs.

2. I like more than one outlet in a bathroom, usually a double gang by the sink and one near the floor on the off wall.

3. Consider closet lighting

4. I would want another outlet below the TV on the wall

5. task lighting on the bar.

6. More outlets in the unfinished storage area.

Obiviously some can occur later if access is avaliable.

Most "professional" electricians would not let you do the circuits and then they connect them at the box. If your confident enough to run all the circuits, you should be confident enough to open up the box.

good luck

Spaceman Spiff

Architect
Reaction score
I'd add a CAT 5 or two to your future office. Make all the data/tel dual runs so you can have one for data and the other for telephone. It's cheap wire to install.

Yankee1423

Reaction score
Ok, I think I'm pretty close. Here is the latest. I've also modified the some of the wire sizes and circuit sizes but I'm not opposed to switching to build in a little cushion. If I reduce the number of circuits I'd like to but I don't know if that could be done. There is a 3 way at the bottom of the steps for a light at the top of the stairs already wired. All my phone, speaker, etc... will be on a different plan.

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/3046/basement.png

JWelectric

Reaction score
(A) General Provisions. In every kitchen, family room, dining room, living room, parlor, library, den, sunroom, bedroom, recreation room, or similar room or area of dwelling units, receptacle outlets shall be installed in accordance with the general provisions specified in 210.52(A)(1) through (A)(3).
(1) Spacing. Receptacles shall be installed such that no point measured horizontally along the floor line in any wall space is more than 1.8 m (6 ft) from a receptacle outlet.
(2) Wall Space. As used in this section, a wall space shall include the following:
(1) Any space 600 mm (2 ft) or more in width (including space measured around corners) and unbroken along the floor line by doorways, fireplaces, and similar openings

In the theather room why not just ensure that there is a receptacle within 6 foot of one of the doors that opens into that room and then 12 ft on center.
The wall between the toy room and the equipment room will require a receptacle.

Three 15 amp circuits will be enough for every receptacle and light down there.
One twenty for the bathroom receptacle and another for the bath receptacle and then if your heart desired one twenty for the TV and other equipment and that is it.

One 15 amp general purpose receptacle wired on one of the rec. or light circuits for the wet bar. What you have drawn is enough electrical power to fix the entire neighborhood drinks. When I saw what you had drawn my first thought was “damn drunks”

Yankee1423

Reaction score
I have no problem adding an outlet on that wall along with a couple others. The reason for a 20A 12x circuit on the wet bar was due to the small appliances that will likely get used (microwave/fridge/blender). I didn't think adding those receptacles to an existing circuit would be a good idea. Looking at the lights, I can get it down to 2 circuits based on the fixture watt ratings. However, I have about 20 receptacles needing power.

Broken out I have:

Toy Room (120 w): 120w max light w/ 5 receptacles
Storage (225 w): 3 individual 75w rated lights and 2 receptacles
Hallway (200 w): 2 100w max sconces and 1 receptacle
Bedroom (120 w): 120w light w/ 6 receptacles
Bath (300 w): 1 300w light bar (besides the dedicated circuits)
Bar: 3 receptacles for small appliances and task lighting
Theater room/***** area (~1,150 w): 4 100w sconces, 8 75 w cans, minimum 2 future 75w cans, 6 receptacles.

JWelectric

Reaction score
Just when are you planning on having something plugged into every receptacle and every one of those lights on at one time.

Wait-------- Just when are you planning on having something plugged into i/2 those receptacles and 1/2 of those lights on at one time.

Give me just a second--------- Just when are you planning on having something plugged into 1/4 those receptacles and 1/4 of those lights on at one time.
You will learn that a 60 watt bulb is blinding in a wall wash light. Should you have all those cans on at one time you will be wanting a dimmer should you go with anything bigger than par 40 bulbs.
Should you have all the lights in there on it might to pass around some sp-30 to prevent burns and shades to protect the eyes.

Dang-it I just don’t see no need at all for all that needing much more than three 15 amp circuits including the receptacle over the wet bar unless you are planning on some super parties down there in which case you might want to consider a chair lift to get those drunks up the steps.

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
jw: Did you see that he has a heater in the bath fan? Usually the bathroom fans w/ heaters want a dedicated 15A circuit for the heat. Then you'll need a 20A circuit feeding the rest of the bath.

I'm not a pro, but I would probably do like this:

- 20A for bath recept(s) and light bar
- 15A for bath fan/heater
- 20A theater (I would add the rest of the recept. in that theater room on that same circuit..perhaps the lights too)
- 15A/20A for wet bar (you could pickup the storage room circuit and possibly the bedroom circuit too)..bedroom may need AFCI, so that might be better on its own 15A AFCI circuit
- 15A AFCI for bedroom (if required)
- 15A lighting circuit (whatever lighting/outlets is left)

I think you can trim your 8 circuits down to probably 5 or 6 circuits

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks