Creating Flat Ceilings

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by M3, May 2, 2009.

1. M3

M3 New Member

I'm remodeling my 1970's house and my wife wants "flat" ceilings (they currently are all the popcorn texture). I got the old texture off, even though it was painted over and very tough. The problem is, that there is some scaring, but not horrible, of the sheet rock.

I use a product called "Gardz" to seal the entire surface and plan to fill in the bad areas. I just want to do this the best way possible. I can do it by hand but I'm also thinking of "shooting" on a heavier mud texture and smoothing it out with a large knock down knife.

Does anyone have some experiences/suggestions with this?

Thanks!
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I've done this...it's hard work. It will take the average DIY'er a long time. I'd just patch the areas needing it. You'll get a better result if you pay someone to put up a finish coat. That's an acquired skill you'll likley never accomplish especially on a ceiling without a lot of practice. they make it look so easy...it isn't! the average person will have a really hard time working over their head unless they have a job that requires that and are used to it.
  3. RomodelHomes

RomodelHomes Oahu Handyman

I recommend skim coating smooth-wall mud over the lids first - the lids have to many blemishes in it to try and hide them - you want a flawless clean look - thats the only way to get it ,,,, it is very hard work and a pro can handle it .......

you will need a 12 inch or 10 inch knife to skim drywall mud over the entire lid ---- it a skilled task ahead - you might want to call a drywall pro -get done right or else you will see all the crap sticking at you .... __> by all means this picture is to show some images of skimmed lids and popcorn ceiling being done - no sales ad ---- :)
    Have a look here [​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2010