Couple few fixit questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Giantsean

Reaction score
Hey All,

Some of you have probably read about my (now officially :)) hack installers and the problems they caused. Now that my equipment is all nice and clean (NOW.. with FILTERS!) I am thinking about how to correct everything they messed up. Fortunately I don't think any of it needs special tools and most is within the realm of possibility of fixing myself, with a little sound advice.

Background again - 2 x TAM7's with hydro coils, Navien boiler

1) Since Ned Stark is never wrong, I am planning on fixing my backwards hydro coils first. I'm pretty adept at PEX connections so right now the only thing I need to worry about is how to drain and refill my system without leaving a whole bunch of air inside. Draining should be fairly easy, and the boiler will refill the water by itself once I re-open the auto-fill, but how can I be sure I am getting all the air out of the system? The system does not have any bleeders. It does have an air remover in the piping but that's in the basement. I'm going to need to ensure no air in the coil/lines that are all the way in the attic.

2) The zone controller they gave me does not support multi-stage heat, nor do my thermostats currently. However the TAM7 does. W1-W3 are currently jumpered so as to give me max CFM (I did it, not them). I know multi-stage heat is more for heat pumps with supplemental electric heat coils, but can/should a hydro install also take advantage of multi-stage? If it is seldom done I'll just let it go (and save a few bucks on a new zone controller and stats in the process)

3) I still have the problem of the handlers blowing cold when the boiler makes a DHW call. The AAM/TAM7 has an aquastat on the supply inlet of the coil (currently piped backwards, but will be right once I switch them). Does anyone know what this thing does for sure? It may be telling the system something but it does not appear to be to shut down the fans. If so, what is the proper method of installing a third party aquastat that will shut down the fans when the supply water gets too cold?

Sincere thanks for any help! It's hard to get any sort of support from Trane/AS unless you are a dealer. In this case I'm not trying to take money out of anyone's pocket. I already paid lol

Thx,
Sean

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks