Cost of new water heater installation - 50 gal side loop

Users who are viewing this thread

Joseph S

Reaction score
I'm dealing with estimates in the Bay Area that start in the mid 3000s and include an estimate of $4100 to replace an aging water heater for a hydronic radiant system. At the same time I'm asking them to get rid of my existing water heater for the house (potable) in order to improve my energy efficiency.

At this point both of my estimates have come in with a 50 gal BW solution (direct vent or power vent) with a side loop for the radiant. Both estimates involve reducing two water heaters to one, replacing the expansion tank, disposing of both the existing water heaters, and installing the new water heater up to code (strapping, blocking, etc. necessary for earthquake area). I'm aware that CA requires a NOx water heater which makes it more expensive as well.

Direct vent (U2XR504) is being estimated at $3200 and the power vent at $3800 (these come with mixing valve). The other bid is model UZTW50T6FRN (power vent) which is bid at $4100.

The second bid says that there are 6 hours of work involved in reducing the pipes in the garage to let me use one water heater.

I've not seen anything in terms of estimates that leads me to a $4100 charge for this type of thing. Am I being rooked? Is it BW that is expensive? I'm looking into a 3rd estimate and wondering whether a Rheem or AO Smith side loop option will be cheaper.

Separately, I'm trying to decide between direct vent and power vent. I'm told power vent is more efficient and that efficiency is key when using a water heater (rather than a boiler) for radiant, in order to prolong life. I'm not keen on the limitations of tankless for my house water, but if there's an alternative option that is better in the long run for the hydronic I would consider it.

Lastly, I'm told that the greatest part of this expense is due to the conversion from two tanks to one. I'm told to expect no more than 6 or 8 years from this water heater due to the nature of radiant heat and how it increases the on/off cycling of the water heater. I have a Kinetico soft water unit but am still concerned that I'll be shelling out another $3000 6-8 years from now. Any way to reduce my burn rate on my water heater/radiant heat solution?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I will not even try to give you a $$$ guess, but it sounds like this will be a job that requires a lot more labor than a simple remove/replace, and if you think plumbers work for minimum wage, you have a rude lesson to learn. You are wise in getting several estimates, be aware that there may be one or two that really don't want the job, so they will give a very high estimate. Be just as leery of an estimate that is much lower that the rest. Above all, be sure the winner of the bidding is a licensed plumber. This is not a job for a hack.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks