Corrosion on heat exchanger

Users who are viewing this thread

GG_Mass

Reaction score
Hi,
Starting this last summer, some corrosion showed up on one side of the external heat exchanger. I'm not sure as for the reason why.
I decreased the aquastat temp to 110F, so I must attribute the corrosion for that reason, unless I'm wrong and there's a different reason, can anyone add some more information about this ?

Thank you.

20150204_213905.jpg

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Looks like either a tiny leak, or a galvanic reaction from dis-similar metals.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most likely a leak.
Talk to your plumber about replacing the exchange. In fact, get more than one estimate.
Not all plumbers will point out things that are bad when they come to do an annual service.

GG_Mass

Reaction score
I was thinking about doing the work myself. I cannot find a similar replacement part though, that's what I'm looking for.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
So you want to find parts for a 30 plus year old exchanger and do the repair yourself...but you called a plumber to do a seasonal service?

You can't find parts because there are none available on the market. Searching for parts at old time plumbers' yards is a long shot.

Your reasoning doesn't add up. This unit is not worth keeping. Replace it. If you don't have the money, borrow it.

Or do nothing. Some folks choose to do just that - nothing.

GG_Mass

Reaction score
So you want to find parts for a 30 plus year old exchanger and do the repair yourself...but you called a plumber to do a seasonal service?

You can't find parts because there are none available on the market. Searching for parts at old time plumbers' yards is a long shot.

Your reasoning doesn't add up. This unit is not worth keeping. Replace it. If you don't have the money, borrow it.

Or do nothing. Some folks choose to do just that - nothing.

There is such a resource as "time" my friend. I had a cylinder head rebuild I had to finish on my ride, + 5 more other winter tasks. I don't really see what you're getting it.
Yes, at that time $180 for someone to clean the vents, replace oil filter and preform a thorough inspection for a system that has not been tested by a professorial for 5 years did not seem like a bad decision.
Still doesn't.

I'm assuming the plumber I'm going to call is not going to fabricate that part and he's going to get it somewhere. If anyone can be kind enough to provide with a path to find it - I'd be most grateful. I'll probably have some more questions after I can even find the part - regarding the work, etc.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
There are dozens of 10-20 plate heat low-pressure brazed flat-plate heat exchangers on the market that should work just fine- just verify that it meets standards for potable water. You should have to spend more than $100 for a pretty-good 20-plate brazed stainless unit good for 80,000 BTU/hr (more than enough to support a 24/365 endless shower) , or even less for a 10- plater (enough for most indirect water heater applications with a storage tank.)

Some full-retail type sources.

GG_Mass

Reaction score
There are dozens of 10-20 plate heat low-pressure brazed flat-plate heat exchangers on the market that should work just fine- just verify that it meets standards for potable water. You should have to spend more than $100 for a pretty-good 20-plate brazed stainless unit good for 80,000 BTU/hr (more than enough to support a 24/365 endless shower) , or even less for a 10- plater (enough for most indirect water heater applications with a storage tank.)

Some full-retail type sources.

I understand. Thank you for the resources.

Have the in/out ports generally kept their location - I assume if the one I'll buy is not going to be configured the same - I'm looking at quite the pain.. :eek:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks