Correct size for Thermostatic valve and controls

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by sodian, Nov 6, 2007.

1. sodian

sodian New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Can anyone tell me if a 3/4 thermostatic valve is the correct choice (vs the 1/2 model) when used with both a shower head and a hand held shower unit? Each shower head will be controlled by volume control. Not sure about whether to use 1/2 or 3/4 inch for the volume controls. The hot and cold water feeds are 1/2 inch. My water pressure is 50 PSI with a flow rate of 7 GPM. If I was to use the 3/4 inch parts should the piping be 3/4 inch or reduced to 1/2 between the thermostatic valve and the volume controls and the volume controls to the shower heads?
    I contacted the Manufacturer, Grohe, and all they said was that with 2 outlets I could use either. They were not much help.
    Steve Odian
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    By federal regs, a showerhead can't use more than 2.5gpm, so with two heads max, it probably won't make much difference...I concur. It gets to be more of a factor if you've got more heads. The 1/2" valve is less expensive. Now, if you had 3/4" supply lines and were filling a big tub, that would be a different story.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. sodian

sodian New Member

Nov 6, 2007

Thankyou for the response:)