copper on stainless

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by jmo, Nov 27, 2007.

1. jmo

jmo New Member

I am installing a steam generator for a new steam shower. The steam outlet is 3/4 stainless npt. I want to pipe the steam in with 3/4 copper. Can I put a copper fitting onto the stainless with out creating a problem with dissimilar metals? Please advise.

Thanks in advance, JMO
  2. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

yes but elctrolisis can still cause the copper to have build up.If just steam
    I wouldnt worry.
  3. kordts

kordts In the Trades

Copper and stainless will not cause galvanic reaction. It's my preferred method of joining copper to galvanised. I use stainless as my dielectric connection.
  4. jmo

jmo New Member

Thanks to both of you for your input. It looks like I may go with a copper union to make future service on the generator easier.