DMY

Reaction score
I have an electrical junction box with a black, a white, and a ground
wire (110v) which
feeds a couple OLD fluorescent lights that are recessed in my
kitchen. I'd like to convert this box to a standard outlet so
that I can install a "plug and play" LED fixture. Can I just
connect this wiring to an outlet ? How should I install an
outlet in this box ? Any pointers are greatly appreciated !

thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Without a bit more info, it's hard to say, but you probably can install a receptacle there. The in/out leads may or may not be switched, so that might be a consideration. If this is a switched leg, without constant power, things may not work as in that case, the color code isn't actually representing what's there.

DMY

Reaction score

Attachments

• Electrical Junction Box.png
    Electrical Junction Box.png
    59.5 KB · Views: 497

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Are all of those light fixtures controlled by a switch? If so, depending on whether the power is sourced at the switch, or at one of the lamps, it could be a switch leg, and not have a neutral available. IF that's true, then, no, you cannot add a receptacle in that box.

If you have a multimeter, turn the switch on, then check power between the white and ground, then the black and ground. If it's the same, it's a switch leg. If in either position of the switch, you get 120vac between black and white, and black and ground, then there's power there all of the time, and you can patch in a receptacle.

DMY

Reaction score
Are all of those light fixtures controlled by a switch? If so, depending on whether the power is sourced at the switch, or at one of the lamps, it could be a switch leg, and not have a neutral available. IF that's true, then, no, you cannot add a receptacle in that box.

If you have a multimeter, turn the switch on, then check power between the white and ground, then the black and ground. If it's the same, it's a switch leg. If in either position of the switch, you get 120vac between black and white, and black and ground, then there's power there all of the time, and you can patch in a receptacle.

thank you for your feedback. I can say that there are three switches in my kitchen that all control the
power to these fluorescent lights. Pretty silly - a couple are 10 feet apart. I'll test

Jadnashua

Reaction score
FWIW, that junction box may not even be connected to your existing lights.

DMY

Reaction score
The box in the photo is 10 inches from my light and the only input into my 4 serially connected fluorescent fixtures. All the ballasts are failing so I'm ripping them all out and replacing with led bulbs. I can hardwire, or I can somehow wire in an outlet receptacle to accept a standard plug from the LED fixture.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks