Considerations for extending cold-air return

Users who are viewing this thread

grahamW

Reaction score
I have a relatively modern energy star rated Carrier furnace/AC installed in an unfinished basement. I am thinking about finishing the basement and have had a few contractors in for quotes. One mentioned that I could make things more functional if I were to consolidate my utilities. This means moving the furnace (again). Apparently, this general contractor has an HVAC guy that would do this but I was wondering if anyone here can comment on the implications of extending the cold air return ductwork? The existing return is within the joist cavities and the new route would be about 12' longer, involve dipping below one load-bearing beam in one location, but otherwise still utilize the joist cavities.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks