Confused By Diverter Valve Instructions

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by KULTULZ, Sep 29, 2010.

1. KULTULZ

KULTULZ Jack of all trades, Master of none

I had previously bought an American Std Two Handle Shower Only Faucet Set along with a Two Way In Wall Diverter- 1660.440- to transition from overhead shower head to an in wall hand held shower.

The diverter has two outlets and one is marked as bathtub and instructions indicating more flow for bath fill.

Can I use this diverter or is there another model for use with shower(s) only? Which shower head should receive more pressure, the overhead I assume?

THANX!

GARY
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The diverter has the capability of delivering more water to the "tub" outlet, but the shower heads will reduce it to the point where the flow is the same for both. As far as pressure, the higher device will have slightly less pressure because of its elevation, but you will never notice the difference.
  3. KULTULZ

KULTULZ Jack of all trades, Master of none

So it can be used on a SHOWER ONLY install?

THANX!

Gary
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Yes as long as it has a positive shutoff on either side, which that one seems to do. If it were similar to a "pull up" diverter, then it would only positive shutoff the tub side, which means that a hand held would create a back pressure and water would come from both devices.