Concrete Demoliton Advice

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by Xenomorph, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Xenomorph

Xenomorph New Member

Jul 10, 2006
    I am trying to learn about doing concrete demolition the most efficient way, but am not having much luck finding reading material. I am interested in making small-medium sized holes, as well as occasionally making trenches. Should I go with a demoliton hammer? Or a full sized jackhammer? Or should I go with a demo/rotary hammer and a handheld concrete saw?

I am curious if some of the more powerful demo hammers like this one from Milwaukee ( ) can handle chiseling out a trench in pretty good time, or if you need to use a concrete wet/dry saw for something like that.

2. Dunbar Plumbing

Dunbar Plumbing Master Plumber

Apr 18, 2005
    Service Plumber, Outdoor Temperature Relief Owner
    Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
    The quickest way to remove concrete would be to cut the concrete to be removed with a diamond blade concrete saw along with water running where you cut at all times; keeps the dust down and keeps the blade cool.

I've been using a 60lb electric jackhammer for years. Takes a little time but it eventually spider cracks the concrete.

Those 90lb air jack hammers you need to pull a compressor behind your vehicle are the way to really make mince meat of the job. They make a relatively lightweight air hammer that destroys concrete.

I speak mainly from past experiences, try not to do that type of work anymore.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2009
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Sep 1, 2004
    Yakima WA
    For breaking small areas of concrete and for drilling holes in concrete, I found a 3 function rotary hammer/drill to be very useful. You can buy one complete with some basic chisels and drill bits for about $100. These use SDS bits which are readily available. I got mine from Grizzly some time ago. You can use the attached address to get the the Grizzly site, then search the site for G9908.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

It depends on the job's requirements. If you do not need a precise opening, then a few "whacks" with a 12# sledge will usually create a starter hole and then it is easy to enlarge it with the sledge or an electric hammer.
  6. toolaholic

toolaholic General Contractor Carpenter

Jul 16, 2005
    Repairing and remodeling homes
    Marin Co. Ca.
    I'm a gen. contr. with a lot of equept.

I have a 60 lb bosh. and 2, 47 lb makitas. 14 " gas concrete saw
    for a slab cut out saw then jackhammer. If things get serious ,I have a 16,000 backhoe . I have the name toolaholic for good reason :D