Concrete Demoliton Advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Xenomorph

Reaction score
I am trying to learn about doing concrete demolition the most efficient way, but am not having much luck finding reading material. I am interested in making small-medium sized holes, as well as occasionally making trenches. Should I go with a demoliton hammer? Or a full sized jackhammer? Or should I go with a demo/rotary hammer and a handheld concrete saw?

I am curious if some of the more powerful demo hammers like this one from Milwaukee ( http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/web...product3_27_40027_-1_331654_281154_189337_362 ) can handle chiseling out a trench in pretty good time, or if you need to use a concrete wet/dry saw for something like that.

Thx.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
The quickest way to remove concrete would be to cut the concrete to be removed with a diamond blade concrete saw along with water running where you cut at all times; keeps the dust down and keeps the blade cool.

I've been using a 60lb electric jackhammer for years. Takes a little time but it eventually spider cracks the concrete.

Those 90lb air jack hammers you need to pull a compressor behind your vehicle are the way to really make mince meat of the job. They make a relatively lightweight air hammer that destroys concrete.

I speak mainly from past experiences, try not to do that type of work anymore.

jakhamer.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
For breaking small areas of concrete and for drilling holes in concrete, I found a 3 function rotary hammer/drill to be very useful. You can buy one complete with some basic chisels and drill bits for about $100. These use SDS bits which are readily available. I got mine from Grizzly some time ago. You can use the attached address to get the the Grizzly site, then search the site for G9908.
http://www.grizzlyindustrial.com/

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
holes

It depends on the job's requirements. If you do not need a precise opening, then a few "whacks" with a 12# sledge will usually create a starter hole and then it is easy to enlarge it with the sledge or an electric hammer.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
I'm a gen. contr. with a lot of equept.

I have a 60 lb bosh. and 2, 47 lb makitas. 14 " gas concrete saw
for a slab cut out saw then jackhammer. If things get serious ,I have a 16,000 backhoe . I have the name toolaholic for good reason :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks