Common P trap to stubout alignment issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Antonio4791

Reaction score
Hi all,

After having recently completely gutted and reno-ed one bathroom, we did another. The 2nd is nearly complete. During the 1st bath reno, I ran into a problem where the drain stub out was too low because of a 36" high vanity. The 2nd bath reno also has tall vanity tops, so I stubbed out the drain higher to compensate. The drain is stubed out 20 inches above finished floor. To my surprise, the stub out is now too high. I am hoping my problem can easily be solved by changing to a different P trap. If I slide the P trap as far up as it will go on the tailpeice, the horizontal (J arm) is just a hair too low to meet up with my stub out. It's about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch too low. It's too much difference to bend the ABS stub out. I am hoping that perhaps some P traps simply have a taller vertical section and that a simple change of P trap brand or type will suffice. Otherwise, the best route as far a I can tell is to cut the drywall behind the vanity (will be hidden), and move the stub out down. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The safest thing is to have either the spec sheet or the actual parts in hand before making any plumbing changes...yes, hindsight is great!

A pro may have better insight, but I think you'll have to move the fitting in the wall to make it fit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks