Common P trap to stubout alignment issue

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Antonio4791, May 19, 2011.

1. Antonio4791

Antonio4791 New Member

Hi all,

After having recently completely gutted and reno-ed one bathroom, we did another. The 2nd is nearly complete. During the 1st bath reno, I ran into a problem where the drain stub out was too low because of a 36" high vanity. The 2nd bath reno also has tall vanity tops, so I stubbed out the drain higher to compensate. The drain is stubed out 20 inches above finished floor. To my surprise, the stub out is now too high. I am hoping my problem can easily be solved by changing to a different P trap. If I slide the P trap as far up as it will go on the tailpeice, the horizontal (J arm) is just a hair too low to meet up with my stub out. It's about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch too low. It's too much difference to bend the ABS stub out. I am hoping that perhaps some P traps simply have a taller vertical section and that a simple change of P trap brand or type will suffice. Otherwise, the best route as far a I can tell is to cut the drywall behind the vanity (will be hidden), and move the stub out down. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The safest thing is to have either the spec sheet or the actual parts in hand before making any plumbing changes...yes, hindsight is great!

A pro may have better insight, but I think you'll have to move the fitting in the wall to make it fit.