Commercial installation vs DIY (replacing existing IQ-0820 system)

Users who are viewing this thread

rnsmithtldiy

Reaction score

Reach4- Thanks for trying to help me out here. It is amazing that there isn't more of a layman's explanation about this subject (max salt saturation, how long to saturate, etc,). I have seen several references to 26% being the salt saturation point for salt in water, but it didn't/doesn't compute for me (i.e. water at 8.35 lbs / gal x 26% only gets me about 2.2 lbs of salt / gal).

However, looking at the various sites you referenced, they are all rather consistent in giving the solubility of salt in water as around 357 mg/ml or 360 g/kg or 359 g/L -- which to me is 36%, which lines up with 3 lbs of salt per gallon of water everyone is using (8.35 lbs/gal x 36% = 3.006 lbs/gal).

So where does the 26% come into play. I can get 26% if I take the max salt in a gal of water and divide by the beginning amount of water plus the added salt (i.e. 360 g / (1000 g + 360 g) = 26.4%). Is that what is going on with this 26% saturation of water -- or am I still missing something. ron in round rock

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I can get 26% if I take the max salt in a gal of water and divide by the beginning amount of water plus the added salt (i.e. 360 g / (1000 g + 360 g) = 26.4%). Is that what is going on with this 26% saturation of water -- or am I still missing something. ron in round rock
I think you've got it. There are really two different questions being asked (or answered):
1) How much salt does it take to make a saturated solution in 1 gallon water? (~3 lb.)
2) What percentage (by weight) of a saturated salt solution is the salt? (~26%)

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Regarding your comments, I guess going by the .25 gal/min Brine Fill rate x 30 minutes, I must have 7.5 gallons going into the Brine tank -- and at 3 lbs per gallon, that is 22.5 lbs of salt per Regeneration -- and that does sound like a lot. So what should it be.

If the 3 lbs per gallon of water does not change, then I guess I should reduce the amount of water going into the Brine tank by shortening the Brine Fill Time -- which I now know how to do.

So what would a good reasonable amount of gallons I should be allowing to go into the Brine tank.

It, the number of minutes or lbs of salt, should be whatever is required to regenerate the K of capacity you need to produce the number of gallons/days of softened water for the service run (minus 1 day of reserve) that is best for your volume of resin. You learn about that at the sizing link in my signature.

BTW, you don't want to change any settings on the pin wheel other than to set the correct salt dose minutes. And to do that you should unplug the control and take the wheel off (and to put it back on) the timer without bending the contact finger.

Reach4

Reaction score
Reach4- Thanks for trying to help me out here. It is amazing that there isn't more of a layman's explanation about this subject (max salt saturation, how long to saturate, etc,). I have seen several references to 26% being the salt saturation point for salt in water, but it didn't/doesn't compute for me (i.e. water at 8.35 lbs / gal x 26% only gets me about 2.2 lbs of salt / gal).

However, looking at the various sites you referenced, they are all rather consistent in giving the solubility of salt in water as around 357 mg/ml or 360 g/kg or 359 g/L -- which to me is 36%, which lines up with 3 lbs of salt per gallon of water everyone is using (8.35 lbs/gal x 36% = 3.006 lbs/gal).

So where does the 26% come into play. I can get 26% if I take the max salt in a gal of water and divide by the beginning amount of water plus the added salt (i.e. 360 g / (1000 g + 360 g) = 26.4%). Is that what is going on with this 26% saturation of water -- or am I still missing something. ron in round rock

Here is another number to throw into your math: the specific gravity of saturated brine is about 1.18. The implication is that if you add 2.7 pounds of salt to a gallon of water, you end up with more than a gallon of brine. As a physics/chemistry analysis, I think you will be able to find compatible numbers reconciling theory with accepted industry numbers. http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/1984/0253/report.pdf has some info that you might find interesting. Your analysis can become that white paper that you were unable to find on the topic.

From an operational point of view, you will do better with an empirical approach. Get yourself a good hardness test, such as the Hach 5B, you can try reducing the brine fill a bit, and monitor the hardness toward the end of the cycle. There are soap-based tests too, but the Hach 5B is better at giving you a 1-drop/grain titration. You can trigger a manual regen if hardness gets higher early. But this experiment will cancel out the variations of things like the resin, whether your system delivers 0.50 or 0.54 or 0.48 GPM during brine refill. So if you take on optimizing salt use vs effective softening, that measuring will be effective at tuning reality. Now that test will probably cost the same as maybe 250 pounds of salt, so the payoff may take a while. But it doubles as a cheap hobby. :) Be glad you are not paying yourself by the hour.

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website

Correct, and to get to 26% it usually takes 2 hours but in some environments it takes 3 hours after the refill water is added to the salt tank. That is important to only Pre Refilled softeners, meaning the first cycle position of a regeneration is Refill. Most softener control valves do not have that feature and are Post Refill, meaning the water for the next regeneration is added at the end of the previous regeneration and the water has at least 24 hours to dissolve the salt, or get to 26^ brine.

Ron, when ya get done with the saturation thingy of the brine in the salt tank, ya should get into what it is in the drain line water during slow rinse/brine draw, that is what really matters to the successful regeneration of the resin.

This saturation stuff yer into is kinda like the theory of flight. When I went to become a private pilot in my late 20s, they told me all about that theory. I didn't really care how it worked, or what metals the engine was made of or why, because since I was 4-5 years old (Mom said) I was always watching small private planes flying over our house as they took off from an airfield less than a mile from our house. I just accepted that planes flew, for whatever reason. As I grew older I'd lay in the back yard and watch contrails and try to see the plane creating them. Eventually I got binoculars for a birthday or Christmas. Then as high school was finished, I joined the USAF hoping to fly, which didn't happen except a few times as a passenger to/from a change of assignments. They thought nuclear weapon care, custody, maintenance and control was a better use of me than having me be a member of a flight crew. I did learn the theory and difference of fission and fusion though....

rnsmithtldiy

Reaction score
And here I thought all I had left to do was just change the Brine Refill time -- silly me.

Reach4: Here is another number to throw into your math: the specific gravity of saturated brine is about 1.18. . . .

From an operational point of view, you will do better with an empirical approach. Get yourself a good hardness test, such as the Hach 5B, you can try reducing the brine fill a bit, and monitor the hardness toward the end of the cycle. There are soap-based tests too, but the Hach 5B is better at giving you a 1-drop/grain titration. You can trigger a manual regen if hardness gets higher early. But this experiment will cancel out the variations of things like the resin, whether your system delivers 0.50 or 0.54 or 0.48 GPM during brine refill. So if you take on optimizing salt use vs effective softening, that measuring will be effective at tuning reality. Now that test will probably cost the same as maybe 250 pounds of salt, so the payoff may take a while. But it doubles as a cheap hobby. :) Be glad you are not paying yourself by the hour.

OK, Reach4, you have definitely got me in over my head now. I did look through the Densities of Saturated Solutions by the Geological Survey guys, and I think I will set that one aside for now, at least until I figure out all of this other stuff.

And as for the empirical approach, I might give that a shot. Someone, might have been you, but I don't remember, suggested the Hatch 5B test kit and I do have one of them on order.

Gary: BTW, you don't want to change any settings on the pin wheel other than to set the correct salt dose minutes. And to do that you should unplug the control and take the wheel off (and to put it back on) the timer without bending the contact finger.

OK, Gary, probably good advice. Now if I just knew what to change the Fill time to. By the way, the .25 gpm figure I gave you off of the Brine Draw/Fill line, is that for both directions. I had originally been thinking Fill, but have been reading how important that it is to have the Brine introduced into the resin tank slowly, and it got me wondering if the .25 gpm is for both ways -- which means that if it runs for 30 minutes during the Fill cycle, it must take 30 minutes for the Draw / Slow Rinse cycle -- is that right.

Which is another figure I was going to ask about -- like is there kind of an established ratio between the Brine Draw and the Slow Rinse times.

Correct, and to get to 26% it usually takes 2 hours but in some environments it takes 3 hours after the refill water is added to the salt tank. That is important to only Pre Refilled softeners, meaning the first cycle position of a regeneration is Refill. Most softener control valves do not have that feature and are Post Refill, meaning the water for the next regeneration is added at the end of the previous regeneration and the water has at least 24 hours to dissolve the salt, or get to 26^ brine.

Ron, when ya get done with the saturation thingy of the brine in the salt tank, ya should get into what it is in the drain line water during slow rinse/brine draw, that is what really matters to the successful regeneration of the resin.

OK Gary, thanks for the info. I was wondering about those systems that started out the Regeneration cycle by re-filling the Brine tank first -- didn't sound right to me. By the way, thanks for the link to the Kenmore water softener animation -- it is really cute and well done (and I think that guy started off with a fill of the Brine tank).

And yes, my next task is to understand the grain stuff -- how much the salt solution will remove, the capacity of the resin, and all that good stuff. I will likely have some more questions, but there IS A LOT of stuff out there about Grains -- so I will study that further before asking questions.

I want to thank all of you for helping me through this. I have been able to determine my Controller is working -- and I have decided that all I probably need to do at this point is to replace the resin (to get rid of the Bacteriostatic stuff). But I do want re-adjust the operation of my system AND size a bigger system for the day that I need to replace the one I have now -- either because something does happen to it or if I just want to get a more efficient system.

I still don't understand this business about the water level (i.e. I am sure I used to be able to see water with the salt level higher than it is now (although I am beginning to doubt myself there because I don't see how anything could have caused that) -- which caused me to believe my system was broken -- BUT I don't want to go into that right now -- maybe later I or you can help me speculate on that. Thanks again. ron in round rock

Reach4

Reaction score
I still don't understand this business about the water level (i.e. I am sure I used to be able to see water with the salt level higher than it is now (although I am beginning to doubt myself there because I don't see how anything could have caused that) -- which caused me to believe my system was broken -- BUT I don't want to go into that right now -- maybe later I or you can help me speculate on that. Thanks again. ron in round rock

Suppose your water level is higher than the salt. You do a cycle, and let's say you used 6 pounds of salt. Refill water comes back in for the next cycle. Let it sit and get saturated by salt. Because there is less salt taking space under the water level, the water level will be lower.

If later you were to then add 6 pounds of new salt, then expect the level to go back to where it was before the the latest cycle. Now what would the level do during the interval after refill but before the solution is saturated? I am not sure, but I am suspecting the level would be dropping.

If the salt level is partially higher than the water surface, a similar thing still happens. It is is just not as clear cut to analyze. It is OK to have salt higher than the water level, but then you can't see what is going on.

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
In theory, it sounds like you for-sure need enough brine above the air-ball-valve limiter to satisfy the brine draw requirement, but not TOO much. And as long as there's enough salt in the tank to saturate the amount of refilled water, you're OK. If you take into account Reach4's observation, the amount of water refilled should be a skoche less than the amount of brine required. This is getting interesting...

Reach4

Reaction score
I have tried some calculations. It seems to me that for each gallon of water, you get about 1.13 gallons of brine.

If water covers your salt, I expect using a 2 gallon brine refill cycle to make the surface about 0.26 gallons (~ a quart) lower each regen until you add salt.

I may have made a mistake, so take it with a grain of NaCl.

rnsmithtldiy

Reaction score
Ron, a gallon of water can dissolve 3 lbs of salt; actually it's 2.7 lbs. but it is stated as 3 lbs. So if you add .25 gpm for X minutes you can calculate how many gallons of water and how many lbs of salt is dissolved into brine to be used each regeneration. It is what it is and as far as I know, it can't be any other way since your resin is sodium form resin.

For your size softener it is using WAY too much salt. I, as I'm sure you do too, know that softeners work, so I suggest you quit trying to understand how it all works and simply set the thing up to do the best job it can regardless of how it does it and get on with life. :)

I haven't mastered the gain business yet, but I think the grains are what they are for right now and will fall in place with the other calculations -- but can be used to determine salt dosage efficiency later.

OK, based on the .25 gpm spec on the brine fill line and a 30 minute Fill time, I get 7.5 gallons of water -- times 3 lbs of salt per gallon, that is 22.5 lbs of salt dissolved in the 7.5 gallons of water. And since the entire 7.5 gallons gets put back into the resin tank during regeneration, I am drawing roughly 22.5 lbs of salt into my 8" resin tank. Right so far?

And I believe I was told that with an 8" x 42" resin tank, I have around .75 cu ft of resin -- and I believe that .75 cu ft of resin can only remove around 22,000 grains of hardness before exhaustion. So is this right, so far?

And finally, using the poor efficiency salt dose of 15 lbs/cu ft resin (only 11.25 lbs needed for .75 cu ft of resin), the maximum amount of hardness removal is 30,000 grains. And is that right?

I am just trying to get some maximums here -- and I haven't quite figured out this salt dosage and capacity business, but it appears to me if 11.25 lbs of salt will remove 30,000 grains of hardness in .75 cu ft of resin, 22.5 lbs of salt has the capacity to remove 60,000 grains of hardness -- but my little .75 cu ft of resin only has a capacity of maybe 22.500 grains.

So as the system is currently set up, am I using roughly 3 times the amount of salt I really need to -- and that's if I don't touch anything right now -- and even that is using the inefficient salt dosage of 15 lbs of salt per cu ft of resin. How close am I getting?

OK, I will stop here. Are my capacity figures pretty close to what is going on. I know the salt efficiency curve throws a wrench into things, but I am just considering how my system is currently set up -- and will deal with the other calculations later, if the above calculations are what is happening now. As usual, Thanks. ron in round rock

Reach4

Reaction score
Based on what Gary is saying, I am thinking dropping to 5 pounds of salt would be pretty efficient. Then test to see how often you should regenerate. The Hach 5B is a well respected hardness test good mainly for low hardness (since you titrate with 1 drop per grain during the test) or occasional use where you could tolerate 30 drops with the provided eye dropper. Since 2 or 3 grains would probably cause you to shorten your cycle times, that would be fine.

I found the Hydrion Water Hardness strips hard to get a good low-hardness measurement with. You could make your own test by shaking drops of soap solution with a measured amount of the softened water, and looking at the resulting suds. When you get significantly less suds, shorten your regeneration time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQjIr_jgqtE looks like an interesting alternative test. It does not involve counting or measuring. I did not have any castile soap, but I got promising results with Murphy's Oil Soap. I think a good test would use a measured amount with distilled water to make a reagent. I just dropped a drop. A tiny drop would float on top. If I drizzled some through untreated well water, I got 3-d wisps that looked artsy when side lit with a bright LED flashlight.

Last edited:

rnsmithtldiy

Reaction score
You get 30,000 grains per cuft of resin with 15 lbs of salt.

You supposedly have only 3/4 cuft of resin.

To get 60,000 in a 2.0 cuft softener, you need 30 lbs.

Gary, I don't think I worded my last post very well. From your response, which I understand, what I was trying to say is:

if 15 lbs/cu ft is the max salt dosage for 1 cu ft, 11.25 lbs of salt would be the max salt dosage for .75 cu ft of resin.

So my 22.5 lbs of salt in my 7.5 gal of water (@ 3lbs/gal) is 2 times the max amount that would be used during the Regeneration -- and as you said, I am using WAY too much salt. Even with 11.25 lbs of salt (i.e. if I cut the water in half to 3.75 gal), the max salt dosage for 7.5 cu ft of resin would likely still be too much salt, at least to be considered an efficient salt dosage.

Last week, after letting the salt completely dissolve -- so that I could run a regeneration and "really" see what is going on, last Saturday I refilled the brine tank with salt and ran 2 Regenerations cycles, about 10 hours apart. So Saturday night, the controller reset the gallon counter to 1400 and I am now keeping track of the daily usage. It is now Friday, 6 day later, and the counter is at about 150. So I have either 1 or 2 days left before Regeneration, depending upon the water usage tomorrow.

This is cutting it pretty close, but still OK, I guess. At 3 people, 70 gallon per and 12 grains of hardness, I see a grain removal capacity needed is around 2500 grains times 8 days -- which, I guess means I need around 20,000 grain of hardness removed at each regeneration -- which I think is pretty close to what I think is a 22,500 grain capacity of the .75 cu ft of resin. So it seems to me, I still need pretty much the max salt dose of 11.25 lbs of salt in order to remove a max of 22,500 grains of hardness from the resin, if I want to stick with a 7-8 day regeneration cycle.

And if I reduce the salt dosage of the brine, I will of course have to regenerate more often. So am I getting pretty close to what is going on.

I still want to zero in on this grain business a little more -- so I need a little more help there. About this max dosage of 15 lbs/cu ft for a cu ft of resin, where does that figure come from -- I haven't been able to see the background on that -- just that it is used as the max salt dosage. And does the 3 lbs/gal come from that figure -- I can't get that to compute either, so I am missing something. And regarding salt dosage efficiency, do I have to use one of the salt efficiency graphs (haven't found a good/large detailed one yet), but it is the graph that shows salt grain removal efficiency decreases as the salt dosage increases and seems to top out at about 2,000 grains of capacity per lb of salt for the max salt dosage of 15 lbs per cu ft. So is that the graph I have to use. Is there a formula for that graph/curve. Thanks. ron in round rock

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
And does the 3 lbs/gal come from that figure -- I can't get that to compute either, so I am missing something.
Ron... See http://www.maelabs.ucsd.edu/mae171/Conc vs density.pdf

I suggest you look at http://www.maelabs.ucsd.edu/mae171/Conc vs density.pdf The Salometer (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/salometer) column would be the percent salt for theoretical max. I think in your brine tank, you should be looking more at the 99 row; I think something strange goes on at the 100 line-- check that freezing point at 100.

Note how many pounds of water are in a gallon of 99% saturated brine. Note how many pounds of salt.

Are you picking nits? Remember that the water and salt you use in a softener are not reagent grade.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Reach4, I gave all my softener customers a small soft water test kit that used a soap. You filled a test tube like plastic tube half full of water and added one drop of the soap, capped the tube and shook it hard. If there was suds the water had 0 gpg of hardness, if more hardness there was no suds. Any water softener dealer should be able to get that test kit.

Ron.... I got my 30K and 15 lbs info from resin manufacturers. 30,000/15= 2000 grains per lb.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/salometer

Most families will use 60 gals/person/day. 60*3= 180*8days= 2160 grains per day. 30,000*.75= 22500. 22500/2160= 10 days. 22500/12 gpg= 1875gals. 1875/180= 10 days - 1 day for reserve= 1695 gals or 7 days, and 11.25 lbs..

If you want better salt efficiency you need to regenerate sooner. 2160*3 days= 6480 (round to 7000) of capacity or 7000/12= 583 gals. 7000/3333 grains/lb= 2.1lbs but, you need a reserve so 4*2160= 8640 (round to 9000). 9000/3333= 2.7lbs (round to 3lbs). 365days/3 days= 121regens *3lbs= 360lbs per year and 365/7= 52regens *11.25= 585lbs. 585-360= 225 lbs saved from the environment. And if you go to 3 lbs/regen and set the backwash to 6 minutes, the slow rinse/brine draw to 45+/- minutes, the rinse to 6 minutes you get to reduce the water used.

rnsmithtldiy

Reaction score
Ron... See http://www.maelabs.ucsd.edu/mae171/Conc vs density.pdf

I suggest you look at http://www.maelabs.ucsd.edu/mae171/Conc vs density.pdf The Salometer (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/salometer) column would be the percent salt for theoretical max. I think in your brine tank, you should be looking more at the 99 row; I think something strange goes on at the 100 line-- check that freezing point at 100.

Note how many pounds of water are in a gallon of 99% saturated brine. Note how many pounds of salt.

Are you picking nits? Remember that the water and salt you use in a softener are not reagent grade.

Reach4, Gary, and Others - I haven't abandoned you, just got sidetracked with updating my Prescription Drug Plans for 2014 as well as beginning to search for medical insurance, since IBM is kicking all of their retirees out of their group coverage, giving us some money and telling us to go find out own health insurance.
OK, that is my life for the past week, and probably the next week or two.

Reach4, both you and Gary gave me a link to Merriam-Webster that defined salometer/salimeter (a hydrometer for indicating the percentage of salt in a solution), but I couldn't relate that and your comment about the "99 row and the 100 line" to the table your link pointed to -- did I get the right link in your note.

Yeah, I am still working on densities and capacities -- but keep getting the capacities between the brine and the resin mixed up -- but know it will eventually come together for me.

And finally a trivial update on the operation of my softener. Starting with a Regeneration on Saturday, I went 7 days (Sun -> Fri) before the next Regeneration, which occurred last Saturday (water thingee set to 1400 gallons). It is now Friday again, but the meter is at about 400, so I am going to get an extra day or two this week before a Regeneration. So far, I have added 3 bags of 50# salt to the beginning empty tank.

Thanks again for the help. I am sure I will have more questions before this is all over -- like what should I be looking for when I am ready to replace the resin. It is probably not worn out yet, but I want to get rid of the Bacteriostatic stuff. ron in round rock

Reach4

Reaction score
Somehow the link I posted did not come up with the table I expected when I re-tried just now. I was confused, and I am still am a little. Try
http://www.alkar.com/download/pdf/Sodium Chloride Brine Tables for 60F.pdf

If that does not give you a table with the word "Salometer Degree" as the heading for the first column (of 10 columns), try searching for "Sodium Chloride Brine Tables for 60°F" in one of your search engines. Choose the result from www.alkar.com

The last 3 rows of the table have 99, 99.6 and 100 "Salometer Degree" to start those rows.

Last edited:

rnsmithtldiy

Reaction score
Somehow the link I posted did not come up with the table I expected when I re-tried just now. I was confused, and I am still am a little. Try
http://www.alkar.com/download/pdf/Sodium Chloride Brine Tables for 60F.pdf

The last 3 rows of the table have 99, 99.6 and 100 "Salometer Degree" to start those rows.

Reach4- That did it -- I got the table you are talking about. It will take me a little while to figure it out. As you can see by my posts (the lack of frequency) that I am slowing down and will not likely be doing much more on this until after Thanksgiving.

But I am not finished yet and will be getting back to you and the rest after the holidays. Thanks everyone again for the help and for sticking with me. Hope you'all have a Happy Thanksgiving. ron in round rock

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks