Clothes washer backup

Discussion in 'Drain Cleaning' started by Rick465, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Rick465

Rick465 New Member

I have a standard washing machine that has drained fine for a long time. Suddenly, its backing up on the drain cycle.
    It is not leaking or coming back out the pipe the washer drains into. It comes back out like a vent or something. The house is on a slab and the laundry room is next to the garage. The heating unit and the water heater are in a closet in the garage up on a riser. Under that riser is an open space that pipes and other whatnot go through. In the floor of that space is where the water backs up through a hole or a pipe, I guess. I have a pretty good clean-out in the back where the water goes and the water from the rest of the house (sink, shower, toilet ect) are all fine and flowing. Nothing is getting to the main line out from the washer. I have a snake but the obstruction seems to be past where the line is vented, if it is vented... Is the water backing up through a vent just in the slab and not vented through the roof? How do I fix that?
    I hate to call roto-rooter and sure don't want to cut up the slab. Any ideas? What more info might you need?
    THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

That is not clear.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Rick465

Rick465 New Member

I do need to now add that the sink and dishwasher back up the same way. The toilets and showers do not.
    And "That is not clear.' Is not clear...

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

It comes back out like a vent or something.

OK. I understand that It is water. What does it mean for water to "come out like a vent"?

6. Rick465

Rick465 New Member

Like through a vent

7. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

That may make sense if you speak Arkansasese, but in real English "like through a vent" is meaningless. I am going to venture a guess that you have a clogged drain and need to get a plumber