closing up my house for two months

Users who are viewing this thread

richard52

Reaction score
I live in Michigan, and will be gone for the months of February and March. I would like to know what I need to do to prepare my house for these two months. I did plan to leave the heat on, but not sure at what temperature. I did not think I need to drain my pipes for just the two months since I will have some heat in the house, but want to make sure. Any other tips as what needs to be done for those two months would be appreciated.
richard52

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Get a cold alarm installed and have someone who can respond to see what is wrong and make arraingements to get the heat back on.

D.Smith

Reaction score
For sound sleep I would shut water off and drain the hot water tank. Power failure could cool a house kept at a min temp pretty quick. Lil rv anti-freeze in each of the traps could add some piece of mind. Water is your house biggest enemy.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It really depends on where you live and the condition of the house - how tight it is. Air leaks can cause pipes to freeze even if the house is warm underneath the sink in a cabinet against a leaky outside wall. Open the cabinet doors and vanities if they are on the outside wall. I probably wouldn't set the thermostat below say 50-degrees.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
2 months is long enough to make it worth winterizing. Peace of mind, and you'll save enough from not heating that it'll mostly pay for itself. I'd at least call a plumber & get a quote, see how much in your area. Or do it yourself, it's not rocket science. A search here will turn up all the know-how.

smokinjoe

Reaction score
Read all the great advice in the above PLUS > Get a heat tape with a thermostat on it and wrap it around your pipes and put some pipe insulation on them..It will turn on at 38 degrees..Remember to ALWAYS drain your lines and air blow them out..Electric can go .out in any area at any time...

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
My experience with winterizing is that I usually make a lot of money fixing pipes when the supply is turned back on.

If you have a boiler I would leave the water and heat on have a neighbor check the house and have a cold alarm installed.

If you have a forced air heating system I would shut off the supply to the house and leave the heat on about 50.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks