Closing up a light switch box

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by coopns, Sep 29, 2011.

1. coopns

coopns New Member

I have a backsplash that I am going to tile. I have 3 light switches in one box but are no longer needed. (One goes outside to a light that isn't used and will be replaced, another is to a light that is no longer there and another is a 3 way that we don't want). Is there a metal wall plate that will cover that? Can I put wire nuts and tape them up and cover it?
  2. Jim Port

Jim Port Electrical Contractor

The light outside the door is required by code.

The junction box must remain permanently accessible and cannot be buried.
  3. ActionDave

ActionDave Electrician

You must not bury the box, but you can move it and/or pull the unwanted wires out.
  4. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

Just put a blank cover over it for the guy that wants the lights back on later.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Home Dopot, and similar, sells a line of "decorative" trim plates. Check with their suppliers to see if they do, or can, make a "nice" 3-gang cover plate, that agrees with your decor.