Closet flange height question

Users who are viewing this thread

BHB_RHG

Reaction score
My bathroom was just tiled and the top of closet flange is now anywhere from even with the top of the floor to just under 1/8" below the floor. I think, but can't be sure, that this is close to the old floor's height - I had vinyl on top of 1/4" underlayment. I removed the vinyl & underlayment and the ceramic tile went on the plywood underneath.

My toilet (some variety of Kohler) has a 5/8" long horn (measured from base of horn, where the wax ring sits, to its end). The horn's end is basically even with the bottom of the toilet.

Is the typical 1" wax ring going to suffice, or do I need a flange extender? The flange is cast iron.

Thanks in advance.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
For a little more assurance, you could use a jumbo wax ring, which is a little thicker. As long as you can feel the wax compressing, the 3/8" probably would be enough, but a jumbo should be for sure. If the flange was lower, an extender would be a good choice, but you should be able to do it with the thicker wax ring.

shadysprings

Reaction score
I've often wondered why the closet flange should be on top of finished floor. If the toilet flange is level with the base edges, and the closet flange is higher than floor, won't all the weight of toilet and toilet passenger all be pressing down on the closet flange? Shouldn't there a small gap to let the wax compress and make the seal?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If you look at the bottom of a toilet you will see that the outside edge of the base rests on the floor, and there is plenty of room for the flange up under the base where the wax seal fits in...

shadysprings

Reaction score
If you look at the bottom of a toilet you will see that the outside edge of the base rests on the floor, and there is plenty of room for the flange up under the base where the wax seal fits in...

Oh. doh. Didn't think of that before. Now it all makes sense. Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks