Clogged Shower Trap creating big problems

Users who are viewing this thread

PVC

Reaction score
My basement has no entry. The pics were taken before floor of kitchen was tiled over, no more access. The shower trap is obviously clogged. As you can see, ancient iron cast pipes.

I want to access basement, clear dirt out and make accessible passage to work on pipes. Only that, my only option right now is, cutting through shower floor for access, pic shows Du-Rock floor with PVC pipe drainage connecting to brass pipes with a rubber connector, my snake can't get passed the rise of the rubber connector to the brass pipe. (?will professional plumbers rotating snake machine cause rubber connector to disconnect? concerned)

Appreciate any comments, Thanks.

Toilet.JPGShower Trap Connection 3.JPGShower Trap 2.JPGShower Trap Connection.JPGShower Trap.JPG

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One reason those rubber connectors are not allowed above ground is that things can shift out of alignment which can trap waste (likely hair). It also makes it really tough to run a snake through there.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is a nightmare even for a handyman job. Almost any snake should go through the rubber coupling, but NO snake will go through the drum trap. That is why it has a threaded cover on it, although whoever did it installed that drum trap upside down so the cover will be difficult, if not impossible, to remove without chopping it out.

PVC

Reaction score
Trap connection problem

Pic 4 shows how the 1 1/2 copper tubing is connects to the shower PVC drain with black rubber connector. Copper tubing is then connected to Trap in pic 5 (green color L or J shape). Copper tubing is connected to the trap with a 2 inch male socket (partially hidden behind water line). I have dug out all the dirt to arrive at the problem. (But can't get that male socket to turn want to drain out liquid by turning that L shape tube). Will Liquid Wrench Penetrant spray have any effect?

I will hire plumber to replace as much as possible with PVC.

Will the trap have alot of Gunk / Waste if I manage to open the clean out myself? Will I literally throw up while down there :( ?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You will need to dig a hole a couple feet across underneath the drum so you can work a big pipe wrench in the hole.

It might be nasty, but it should be from the shower, not the sewer.

You will have additional challenges in upgrading the system, as the shower drain should be all 2". All of the bends should be long sweeps, not short ones. A new P-trap should be installed directly under the shower and there must be a connection to a vent beyond that.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
I would cut the brass nipple off and extend pvc over,install a new waste and overflow pvc sch 40 and a new trap. The lead toilet arm is what would go next maybe,or the cast iron.

The thing about replacing cast iron is the joints in cast iron can be deflected a few degrees,meaning the angle is not a true 45 or a true 90 etc. Same with lead but even worse angles are found.

PVC

Reaction score
I cut open my hard wood floors (no other way to access basement). Dug for hours that lead to days then finally arriving at the problem.

Floor Opening to Basement  JP.JPGDig View of Trap  JP.JPGTrap View 1  JP.JPGTo Main  JP.JPGTrap View 2  JP.JPG

Last edited:

PVC

Reaction score
To Main  JP.JPGBroke C I Connection JP.JPG

As can be seen, the black iron pipe leading down to main was broke (who knows when). My basement dirt had been receiving all the shower drain water for who knows how many years. On my dig, the dirt was dry at the top few inches, then wet digging down. Closer to the break dirt was very saturated.

You can see white clog of some type in the broken discarded iron pipe.

Roots (surrounding broke iron pipe) from backyard have been drinking plenty on summer days of 100+ degrees.

Last edited:

PVC

Reaction score
We got lucky, a plumber was available on Sunday morning @ 9:30 am. Well as you can see, he did his best for the needed shower drain. The toilet (cast iron shown in pic) and faucet drains will be next. Hopefully changing out the main pipe (not shown) from outside going in won't have anymore breaks. But I won't cross my fingers on that.

Plumber working JP.JPG
New PVC  JP.JPGToilet C I to Main  JP.JPG

This is a temporary fix. Wife was staying with her folks for the 4 week project, she works. Glad to have her back.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; That guy must have needed some money

WHY, do you say that? ANY TIME a customer calls with a problem, and is willing to pay my prices, I will take care of him/her.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks