Clogged Kitchen Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Travis Harmon

Reaction score
Good morning,

My kitchen sink (dual sink with disposal) clogged last night. I spent the entire evening plunging and disconnecting the PVC pipe underneath the sink with no success. Went to Lowes and purchased a 15' snake with zero success. Sink is still clogged and the only thing I can think of is there is a clog at the vent pipe. Any suggestions? Also any idea how much a plumber would cost to unclog?

Reach4

Reaction score
The problem is not the vent pipe. Clogged vent would cause different symptoms.

Clogs often happen where the line goes from vertical to horizontal.

A Brasscraft drain bladder can work at times, but it is difficult to insert from under the sink. Do you have a basement under the sink? If so, you could consider adding a way to clean out from there.

I don't know what a plumber would charge. Even if I did know for one place, it would be different another place. Still, sounds like it would be money well spent.
I spent the entire evening plunging and disconnecting the PVC pipe underneath the sink with no success.
Did you disconnect everything all of the way to the wall? Is that path through the parts you removed clear? If you have any doubt, you could run water through that assembly at the bathtub as a test.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
If the clog was at the vent you could go up on the roof with a garden hose and flow some water down it. I've never heard of a vent line clogging (But I'm not a plumber).
How far is it from the kitchen sink trap to the vent pipe to the next drain connection tie-in (within the 15 feet)? Are the other fixtures connected to the drain line (or sharing the vent) draining properly?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A clogged vent line would only be a cause the sink not to drain if you ALSO had a clogged drain line, so forget that as a cause. Having a drain cleaning snake and having the CORRECT snake are two different things, as is knowing how and where to use it. Call a plumber.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks