Cleanouts/Test Tees

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by awpurcell10, Jun 14, 2011.

1. awpurcell10

awpurcell10 New Member

Are cleanouts mandatory for lav and shower runs before they dump into the main stack? I have about 30 ft of 2" pipe before the double lav and shower dump into my main stack in the basement. I ran them separately from my secondary toilet stack in my new 2nd floor bathroom, so I could avoid having to drill 2-9/16" holes through my 2x8s supporting the 2nd floor living area.

My lav pipe run goes straight down for 10', then I have a long 90' and it goes for about 5' before it dumps into my secondary stack. My shower pipe run goes straight down for 10', then I have a long 90 and it goes for about 6 ft, but then takes another 90 turn before dumping into my secondary stack.

I am banking that I do not need any additional cleanouts other than the traps already in place for each fixture. When I read the Wisconsin code book, I believe it says that cleanouts need to be 75' max distance from eachother, and I do not have that much pipe, so I think I am okay.

Let me know your thoughts. I am looking for code based feedback, not opinions. I realize there are 1.2 million ways to do these projects, but I am looking for objective answers here. Thanks! CastIronTapIn.jpg
  2. plumber2011

plumber2011 Expert Plumber

Hi Awpurcell...

Code requires a cleanout at at the foundation wall (inside or outside, depending on your code), every 75 feet (in your area), but also at every horizontal change of direction, at the base of all waste or soil stacks and in many areas when a pipe comes up through a concrete slab.

In your case, I would definitely recommend installing a TEST TEE cleanout at each connection into/off the waste stack...so easy to install now...so hard to clear a drain later, ya know? Code would also require a cleanout at that extra 90 for the shower.

Finally, in my opinion, those cleanouts on traps are really more for cleaning and retrieving stuff from the trap...not for snaking unless there is no other alternative, OK?

Anyway, that's my take. I'm sure others will be along soon to share their thoughts here!

Good luck!
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The 75' dimesnsion is for HORIZONTAL drains, usually under the floor, NOT individual drain branches. Usually you are required to have a cleanout AT every fixture, unless the drain connects directly into the main line within a couple of feet.