cleaning out apartment buildings

Discussion in 'Drain Cleaning' started by cutthroat, Jul 8, 2012.

1. cutthroat

cutthroat New Member

hi all... i've recently started expanding my business to include more service work,,, specifically drain cleaning. i just walked through a three story, 30 unit building with the property manager and he wants me to price out cleaning all the kitchen lines. great opportunity to get in good with a management company, but i fear i'm in over my head,,, i'm new to drains (have done a bunch recently, but limited to showers, lavs, the odd water closet). anyways, where to start? do you guys with experience simply pop off clean outs in the parkade and snake the horizontal portions, or do you continue up?? what about getting into the third floor unit and cleaning down? any help would be great! thanks,
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

IT has always been my contention that snaking a drain that is NOT plugged is a waste of time and may even be counterproductive if you cannot introduce enough water to flush away the dislodged debris before IT causes a stoppage.
  3. MACPLUMB 777

MACPLUMB 777 TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP

Whatever you do, don't start on third floor because the sludge will break lose and flow down to clog the drain at
    first floor and while you are running water upstairs it will be running all over the first floor,