Cleaning drains

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
On the show, How Clean is your house, they showed putting baking soda, salt and vinegar down the drain followed by boiling water. Is this recommended and does it really clean the drains in the sinks?

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I have not seen proof of this. I clear drains for people that swear by that trick. I tend to ask them why am here then if that works so well.

The only thing that works is a Bio organic drain treatment.

Cookie

Reaction score
In the early grade levels we used to do that trick for the kids. We would make volcano's to have fun. In the 6th grade levels the kids would turn it into science projects. That is why when I saw it on tv, which is a UK network, I was intriqued by its use to clean drains. If it could only be so simple a cure.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The vinegar will help with drain odors a little and the boiling water will melt some of the grease. The baking soda is good for an upset stomach or baking. ( cookies)

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
On the show, How Clean is your house, they showed putting baking soda, salt and vinegar down the drain followed by boiling water. Is this recommended and does it really clean the drains in the sinks?

Lets see... Remembering chemistry class a long time ago... Vinegar is a weak form of an Acetic Acid. Baking soda netralizes Acid and salt: sodium chloride seasons the brew... We then add boiling water which exceeds the temperature rating of both PVC and ABS pipe.... Sounds like a great idea!

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
I've had luck with it (no boiling water though). Pour down the baking soda and then vingegar and plug the drain and overflow. Worked for me.

Jason

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
i understand the boiling water part. The baking soda and vinegar creates presurized CO2 gas, does that provide more pressure than a good plunger would though? I suppose it could supply contant pressure but i doubt more pressure.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
I could have used a plunger perhaps but it didn't make a good seal.

I was clearing vomit out of the drain and overflow. Yuck. The drunk (now ex-)girlfriend comes back to bed and tells me not to use the sink.

Why?

Just don't.

Why?

It's not draining but I'll fix it. Why isn't it draining?

I don't know.

Did you do something to it?

No.

Why won't it drain?

I don't know.

Look, just tell me.

I don't know why, but I'll fix it tomorrow.

Did you throw up in the sink?

Ya.

C'mon...the toilet is like 4 feet away.

I know.

So, is that why it's clogged?

I don't know....

Cookie

Reaction score
I tried the baking soda, vinegar and salt thing today in the kitchen sink. When, I added the boiling water it erupted pretty high, lol. The cat who was watching and I backed up really quick. The height of the eruption caught me by surprise. I am not sure if it did anything to the drains, but, it sure cleaned the stainless steel well. So, I did the other side too, where the garbage disposal was at.

Jason, even if I were a plumber, I would hire another plumber to clean that, lol. Yuck.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Running boiling water in PVC drains is risky at best.

Even though it's a recommendation to not do that, I advise it when there's a slow moving clog.

Wait till it stops bubbling, mix in a bottle of blue dawn dish detergent, only the blue and only the concentrated.

Run that slowly down the drain on a slow moving clog and it makes a difference with grease.

Thrift is what I use as well; the only product that I know of that has the ability to open drains that I mechanically cannot open by which I've tried numerous times or involve myself with opening walls/pipes to gain better access.

If Dawn dish detergent is used on practically every spill on roadways, oil spills in the ocean and used worldwide for cleanups, what does that tell you in the lines of oil/grease separation?

If you watch most chefs/cooks, they'll flip the water on when they are straining water from pasta or other foods where direct hot water is entering the drain.

Cookie

Reaction score
I think, my brother who used to do auto body work and was very very good at it, said, to use one of the dish detergents when stripping down paint. I am not sure which one. I can't remember. He said one worked very well. I have a feeling it was Ajax, just not sure.

I am not having a problem with the drains, I was just watching this tv show, lol, and wondered if it worked. Since, mine was not clogged I don't know if it did anything or not, it just made a very big eruption and cleaned the sink nicely.

What happens to the pipes when you pour boiling water down them? I know before they were fixed under my sink, if the water was too hot, like for instance from draining pasta, the sink pipe underneath would pop off and water would be running everywhere. So, I made sure I ran cold at the same time. I don't have that worry anymore since someone fixed it for me.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drains

Baking soda and vinegar create a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing. The action takes place as soon as the too meet, not down in the drain where the problem is, assuming they would even be beneficial if they got that far. If I cannot mechanically clean a drain, it is because it is so obstructed that the opening has been reduced to a point smaller than my snake's head. If any chemical, and dish soap is not one of them, clears it it is because they have opened a small channel through the obstruction. The size of the channel is whatever it took for the chemical to drain through and flow down the drain line, effectively stopping any further clearing of the drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks