Cleaning a filter with iron out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bluemoon2k

Reaction score
There is a big blue filter between the pressure tank and the water softener. For years the actual filter has been cleaned by "iron out"

The method is, the filter is taken out, soaked in a bucket with water and iron-out for quite some time. It gets pretty clean. Then, its rinsed (ideally atleast) and put back into the filter housing. THEN the water is ran for about 10 minutes at the nearest location.

My question is, is this safe? Nobody has ever experienced any taste issues and it seems to work well to clean the filters. But is it safe?

Reaction score
It's a "soap", not transmission fluid.

Folks use all sorts of soap to clean all sorts of things, like bleach, CLR, etc.

All "soaps" are water soluble.

If the 10 mins of rinsing doesn't get rid of it all, a one day use of toilet flushing and showers will do it.

Last edited:

Bluemoon2k

Reaction score
It's a "soap", not transmission fluid.

Folks use all sorts of soap to clean all sorts of things, like bleach, CLR, etc.

All "soaps" are water soluble.

If the 10 mins of rinsing doesn't get rid of it all, a one day use of toilet flushing and showers will do it.

Interesting. You seemed to understand the composition before I did.

We drink from the faucet often, and have pets. What do you think the side effects would be? If it wasnt properly flushed prior?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks