Clack WS1 not softening

Users who are viewing this thread

andycai

Reaction score
I did a little research but I didn't find anything. I have a one year old WS1 and has been running well until a few days ago. Water is now very hard (taste and feel). I did REGEN last night but didn't fix the issue. Salt level did go down a little after REGEN. Any other simple troubleshooting steps I can take? My plumber is on vacation so I'm trying to see if I can fix it myself. Thanks in advance!

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
It is a rare person that can taste any difference between hard and softened water... and "feel" is not a very reliable test. You can buy a hard water test kit at most hardware stores or big box stores and you should test both the hot and cold water and they should give the same result but many times the hot will be hard due to softened water dissolving hard water scale in the water heater, adding hardness to the water until all the scale is dissolved.

Does the control valve meter water use; with water running in a tub wide open, does it count down gallons or indicate the water use?

Have you allowed it to run low or out of salt?

Do you have a toilet flapper valve leak or is the water level in the tank too high and overflowing into the overflow tube? Any other water leak; garden hose, outside tap, under any slab construction? If you are on 'city' water, make sure no one uses water and go watch your water meter for 15 minutes to see if it counts any water use. If on your own well, does your pump run at times when no one is using water or, watch the pressure gauge for 15 minutes to see if the pressure falls.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
A real test kit is worth the $35. Get the HAch 5B

I will be selling them at very little margin to anyone who wants one, I have a few hundred coming into stock in a few days.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks