Chemical odor from central heating's chimney

Users who are viewing this thread

Bill Calley

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an outdoor natural gas central heating unit (which also has a built-in AC). On the side of this large box-like unit is a small vent that outputs hot air/gasses. The odor of these gasses has a VERY strong "chemically" smell. Is this normal, or might there be excessive unburnt natural gas mixing with the normal heater vent exhaust? And can this be dangerous?

Thank you!

-Bill

Bill Calley

Reaction score
Answer to furnace vent odor...

To save anyone who may read this thread in the future: the smell from the vent was caused by poisonous gasses due to a cracked combustion chamber in the gas furnace.
There are only two solutions to this problem (that is, if you lived through the carbon monoxide poisoning that this issue causes): replace the combustion chamber (>$1500), or get a new central heating unit (>$4200).
PS: I'm really somewhat surprised that this HVAC forum didn't know the answer to this critical life and death problem...

-Bill

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that.

BTW, this is first and foremost a plumbing forum. HVAC questions that are are more serious than just replacing the thermostat are often given the standard answer, "Call your HVAC professional."

PS: Didn't your CO detector go off, alerting you to a hazardous situation?

Last edited:

BurleyMike

Reaction score
If that smell is coming out of the exhaust what would that have to do with a cracked exchanger? If that smell is coming out of the supply ducts then it makes sense.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks