changing house supply connection

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by jasontf, Jun 2, 2011.

1. jasontf

jasontf New Member

I need to change my main house shutoff from a gate valve to a ball valve. I have 3/4" soft copper coming in and 1" galvanized pipe inside. What is the best way to make this connection?
  2. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

can you send a picture not enough info.
  3. jasontf

jasontf New Member

I can't get a picture now. It's an old house. I have 3/4" soft copper to a compression fitting, then a threaded gate valve (1"), then a galvanized union (1"), then a short galvanized nipple (1"), and a galvanized tee to go into the house (1") and into a hose bib(1/2").
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The obvious answer would be to use a 1" ball valve and spend a couple of hours to adjust the galvanized piping as necessary, possibly making multiple trips to the Ace Hardware store, to make it fit. Or call a plumber who can do the whole thing in a matter of a half hour or so.