changing cast & lead to ABS

Users who are viewing this thread

Jim Mills

Reaction score
lead.jpg

Sorry for the lousy artwork. Dwg shows bathroom plumbing that is failing & needs to be replaced. I want to replace the lead closet bend with ABS. the bend has a vent entering the side of it. My bottom drawing shows how I thought I would do this adding a cleanout & connecting the vent differently. Would this work, or should the vent go downstream from the toilet connection? TIA

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Use a "Y", instead of a 45 under the toilet and then connect it to the vertical vent with the 45 and you will be "legal". If your drawing is correct, then a cleanout at that location will be more "cosmetic" than functional. (i.e., it will "look" nice, but would probably NEVER be used.)

Jim Mills

Reaction score
Surprised with the cleanoout comment. I often read "where's the cleanout" on many a thread...

Asktom

Reaction score
If you were ever the flunky who had the job of crawling under a structure to remove the clean-out plug when a mainline stoppage had backed up that far you would understand why it would not be used. If practical, extend the cleanout outside.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks