Caulking the tub - necessary? Things have changed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Snorp

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Good day to all and thanks for your help and advice..

I somewhat recently had a new tub installed and the tile replaced - see photo. The Tile installer did a great job but he didn't caulk the tub, It seems to be only grouted where the tile meets the tub.

This is normal? I wasn't told that caulking wasn't part of their job or that I needed to do the caulking. So, is today's grout sufficient to stop water leaks into the wall? Should I caulk the tub?

My regards to all.

Andy Fern

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Weird that caulking was not included. The interface between tile and tub is not appropriate to grout alone because of expansion/contraction of the tile/tub surfaces have differential coefficients. Caulk is appropriate and typically only a decorative, visual element. There must be a flange on a tub to actually provide the water path barrier, so the caulk is cosmetic.

Snorp

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Weird that caulking was not included. The interface between tile and tub is not appropriate to grout alone because of expansion/contraction of the tile/tub surfaces have differential coefficients. Caulk is appropriate and typically only a decorative, visual element. There must be a flange on a tub to actually provide the water path barrier, so the caulk is cosmetic.
Thanks for your reply Mr Breplum.

So, as I understand it, if the tub has a flange to carry the water away caulking isn't necessary - correct? Then, my question is, do the vast majority of tubs have this type of flange? How does one tell?

Since I have no way of knowing if there is a flange, you would recommend that I caulk the tub? On the other hand the quality of the work suggests that the installer is experienced and I shouldn't worry about the situation. Maybe?

Regards,
Andy Fern

Snorp

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Good day to all and thanks for your help and advice..

I somewhat recently had a new tub installed and the tile replaced - see photo. The Tile installer did a great job but he didn't caulk the tub, It seems to be only grouted where the tile meets the tub.

This is normal? I wasn't told that caulking wasn't part of their job or that I needed to do the caulking. So, is today's grout sufficient to stop water leaks into the wall? Should I caulk the tub?

My regards to all.

Andy Fern
OOPS!

Attachments

• tub.jpg
    tub.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 25

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Caulk will not hurt. Silicone lasts longer but is a total bear to razor away when mold starts to grow. Latex is much easier to remove and redo. We use blue masking tape on each edge to make it really easy and narrow.
DAP Kwik Seal Ultra premium siliconized claims "lifetime" mold and mildew resistance....worth the money.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks