cast iron tub install

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by SB, Jun 29, 2005.

1. SB

SB New Member

I am going to be installing a six foot tea fof two Kohler in a upstairs bath remodel. What is the proper way to support it? I,m concerned about the weight. I figure that the tub when full will weigh 600 to 700 lbs. If possible I would like to spread this weight over as many rafters as possible. My subfloor is three quarter t+g over 2 by 10,s. This is going to be an undermount install with the surround extending twelve inches at the drain end and twenty four inches at the other end. Any thoughts? Thanks, Steve
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

tub

It is already going to span as many joists as possible, unless it is parallel to the joists. The size of the joists is not as important as what their span is. In most cases the distributed weight of the tub will not cause a structural problem.
  3. SB

SB New Member

Thanks for the reply hj. Should I just shim the feet to level the tub, or should I set it in some mortar? Thanks, Steve