Cast Iron pipe - Lead removal and resealing

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by tnr122, Feb 28, 2010.

1. tnr122

tnr122 New Member

Hello,
    I had my floor cut open to add things in my utility room. The cast iron pipe was not buried very deep and by DUMB LUCK the cutters partially severed the pipe between a transition from 1 1/2" to 3". I am excited that I have 3" but have only 3/8" of the 3" pipe sticking out of the hub. My intention was to use a Fernco no-hub to connect to PVC but want to remove the stub piece and replace it with a few more inches instead of the 3/8". How do you recommend replacing the lead in a horizontal hub?

Thanks
  2. Plumber Jim

Plumber Jim Member

take a torch to the lead and melt it till it all runs out. then dig out the oakum and remove the piece in the hub and install a new longer piece. They make rubber seals to use instead of the lead. not sure on your local codes on if they are ok or not.
  3. asktom

asktom Member

I'd drill a bunch of holes in the lead then pry out what remains.