Carrying Water Away from Foundation

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by jacksmith7, Mar 17, 2008.

1. jacksmith7

jacksmith7 Member

This may not be the proper place for this post, but I'll try it anyway. I want to run 4" underground drains for all my downspouts and sump pump discharge. The drains will empty into drainage ditch behind my house.

My question is, which PVC would work best for this? I thought about using schedule 40, but that seems like an overkill. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  2. krow

krow Plumber

If you think Sch40 is an overkill, you could always try SDR35 (a thinner walled PVC, also rated for underground use only) or just plain weeping tile with the sock around the tubing to keep the sand out for a longer period of time
  3. riccet

riccet New Member

Hi, I used the cheaper black corrugated non-perforated (HDPE) pipe to run my drains. It works fine and is somewhat flexible; going around deck footers, etc. You can get it in 100' rolls, roll it out straight and let it sit in the sun awhile to make it easier to work with. I taped some tyvek or landscape fabric around the joints to keep the silt out. Make sure you form a p-trap at a visible outlet, or put some kind of grating on it to keep the rodents out.

The sch-40 PVC would be used across a driveway, but is not needed in normal lawn area. The OEM engineer says the HDPE pipe buried 24" deep in my compacted clay soil will support a 2-ton vehicle driving over it.
  4. Kiril

Kiril New Member

What he said ^