Capping a T

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by marrt, Jul 30, 2010.

1. marrt

marrt New Member

I have a T junction and I need to remove the right side line. The 90 degree junction will remain. Can I cut the pipe on the right side, near the T, and cap the right side of the T? Or, should I remove the T altogether and insert an el in place of the T?
  2. rexles

rexles New Member

I see no reason you can not just cap it. I would not do it if it is a drain line, because it may make it harder to get a snake around the tee as it will try to go to the plug/cap. If it water supply ,cap it.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

No reason not to just cap, or plug, it. It makes little difference how "close" you cut to the tee, because you still have to remove the cut piece from the tee to insert a nipple and cap or plug. Drain lines are directional, so the snake should ALWAYS go the correct direction.