Can't get new faucet/diverter on.. What kind of pipe is this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ausmavsfan

Reaction score
My old bathtub faucet/ diverter is no longer working. I go and buy an identical one from Lowe's. I open the instructions and find 4 types of pipes shown in the directions. My type of pipe is not on there... of course. Mine protrudes a little over 3 inches and has threads close to the wall? SEE PICTURES. So I try to put the enclosed adapter on the threads and can't get it to go back far enough. I try every combination of o-ring/ adapters/ setups possible with no luck. How in the world do I install this thing with this whacky pipe?
IMG_4304.JPG
IMG_4305.JPG

Reach4

Reaction score
Measure the OD of the copper. Is it 5/8 inch (0.625)? If so, think in terms of A in your instructions. I don't think you have threads in your photo. I suspect those grooves might have been made with a spout that had a set screw, and the spout was rotated without backing out the set screw first. There could be another explanation.

Is the pipe smooth at the point 2.5 inches from the wall? Maybe show another picture with a tape measure measuring the distance from the wall.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If it is 5/8" OD, the new spout should slip over it. Make sure that the set screw is backed off enough and not what's holding it from going on. You may want to use a little silicon plumber's grease if you can get it on the O-rings, or maybe a bit on the end of the pipe so it will lube things when you push the thing on. Sometimes, it comes from the factory with some, but if not, it can make it go on easier.

Second, the end of the pipe looks like it may have a rough edge. That type of push-on spout uses one or two O-rings to seal it. If the end is not smooth, you can tear the O-ring when pushing it on, destroying the seal and letting it leak. Also, because the O-rings need a fairly smooth surface to make a good seal, you may want to clean up the copper with some steel wool or fine emery cloth.