Can we avoid putting shut off valve on hot supply line under sink?

Users who are viewing this thread

Curiousv

Reaction score
I am asking about both bathroom and kitchen sink...

My understanding is if we have tankless water heater(so no stored hot water) and we turn of cold supply line ...there will not be any hot water in those lines ....so do we really ....need shut off valve on hot line?

I just want to make less joints possible that is why I am asking if I can avoid putting shut off valve on hot line.

SWong

Reaction score
Why would you want to avoid shutoffs on your hotside? What if you need to make repairs or upgrades to your faucets and have to shut off water to the whole house. Bad idea if you ask me ..... leaking or ruptured washing machine hoses let alone having to shut off water just to upgrade the clothes washer would also be a nightmare!

GamaRae

Reaction score
I am asking about both bathroom and kitchen sink...

My understanding is if we have tankless water heater(so no stored hot water) and we turn of cold supply line ...there will not be any hot water in those lines ....so do we really ....need shut off valve on hot line?

I just want to make less joints possible that is why I am asking if I can avoid putting shut off valve on hot line.

My advice would be to put the shutoff now. I have a kitchen faucet that comes out from the wall and has a vertical stem - not easy to find and more expensive to replace. One day, not long after i bought the house, the faucet stem popped off. And water was shooting in the air. I look under the sink and no shutoff valves. I had to run to the basement and shut off water to the house. The killer for me was, i was sick - e.coli. on a weekend, three days i had to wait, without water, until i could get a replacement. (THINK about it - alone in the bathroom and no water unless i wanted to run to the basement to turn on the water then run up to the 2nd floor to flush then back to the basement to shut off the water...not pleasant). So do it anyway.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks