Can vent be reduced in size for clearance?

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYorBust

Reaction score
I know it sounds bad, but here's the deal. I have a 3 inch WC drain individual vented with 2-in pipe. The plumbers overdrilled a 2x4 stud to get the 2 inch through it. Well since it's a bearing wall at that point, it turns out this is creating a problem. A 1.5 inch pipe could pass the stud without drilling more than 60% and I believe this is acceptable if we double the stud.

So given that a 1.5" vent is large enough to vent the WC, can I replace just the section passing the stud with 1.5", or do I need to replace it all the way from that point down to the drain?

Thanks DIY

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
11/2 is Legal in NYC (Old code) You cannot decrease the vent or waste BUT you can use 11/2" pipe for a WC Vent no problem

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I suppose the only real downside is if the next plumber ties into what they think is a 2" vent but its really necked down to 1.5... The house would probably explode.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
I suppose the only real downside is if the next plumber ties into what they think is a 2" vent but its really necked down to 1.5... The house would probably explode.

Ha, I thought about that. But at this location, it's pretty much impossible anyone would tie anything into that vent, and additionally they would have to tie in more than 8 total dfus for it to matter and even then nothing would explode as you say.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
11/2 Vent run up to 150 feet can service up to 8 FU

11/2 vent 100 feet can handle 10 FU

I doubt very seriously all the fixtures will be used at the same time