Can remote electric meter reading cause circuit breakers to trip?

Users who are viewing this thread

njghost

Reaction score
The other day, the meter reader came to read our meter, and used some contraption that made a weird noise - I'm always right there when he reads it, and it was definitely something new. He said it sends the reading remotely (or something).

A few hours later, we're suddenly tripping circuit breakers right and left! We haven't tripped a breaker in YEARS. PSE&G, our provider says there's no way what their employee did could have caused our breakers to suddenly start tripping.

Are they right? Was this just a coincidence? And if the latter, what do we do?

Thanks.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
What they did would have no effect on your breakers. Maybe you should call an electrician

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Hello Group,

If You don't pay your bill they can shut your power Off. Not sure if a breaker would blow, That don't sound right, Ground Fault Might.

They can also shut your car off if you don't pay your car payment.

Technology is nice, But don't be fooled that it is good for You.

In our area people have been getting BIG electric Bills, They can also be hacked, They are wireless.

I like OLD school...

Tell me what You think, about remote meter reading... And Remote Control...

Just a thought from DonL...

Have a good one.

Thank You Terry Love, Your Forums are Great.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The only things that can trip a circuit breaker are a short circuit, or an overload, or heat buildup from a loose connection, none of which have anything to do with the meter.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Good Morning hj and the group.

A Ground Fault Circuit Breaker, Senses hot wire-to-ground faults , and shuts off.

So it depends on what type of breaker it is.

I agree that the Meter has nothing to do with the breaker getting tripped. (Other than supplying the Power to trip it)

Have a Great Day.

DonL.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Well, Don, the GFCI actually measures the difference in the current between the hot and the neutral...it doesn't even need a ground to work. If the current returning isn't within a very small amount (often around 5ma), it trips. That lost current could go to the ground circuit, or anywhere, but it's irrelevant if the ground is actually there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks