Can I Drain water softener into kitchen sink standpipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tie Minnow

Reaction score
Hi guys. I've searched for days now on the best place to drain my softener. Draining in the basement isn't San option it seems. The best place I've come up with is my kitchen sink drain. I'm planning on installing an additional p trap under my kitchen sink with an 18" "rise" and an air gap. Does this sound like it would work and is it necessary to have an 18" high rise to drain into? Much thanks!

Attachments

• 20210227_081817.jpg
    20210227_081817.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 308

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If it drains too slow, you will have a flood on your hands. Do you have a wash machine standpipe you could drain into?

I drain mine into the sump pit. Code might not permit that where you are.

Tie Minnow

Reaction score
I dont have a sump pit or a washing machine drain nearby. I have the kitchen sink and a dishwasher. The dishwasher is even farther away. Why might it drain too slow where I am planning on draining it? It would be approx. 10 feet above the basement floor.

Reach4

Reaction score
Hi guys. I've searched for days now on the best place to drain my softener. Draining in the basement isn't San option it seems. The best place I've come up with is my kitchen sink drain. I'm planning on installing an additional p trap under my kitchen sink with an 18" "rise" and an air gap. Does this sound like it would work and is it necessary to have an 18" high rise to drain into? Much thanks!
That should work if your water pressure is not too low. Get an air gap made for a dishwasher, and it should be able to pass enough volume.

I would inject the output of the air gap before the kitchen sink p-trap. That has the added advantage that in the case of a clog, the bowls of the sink could hold much of the water. If you have a garbage disposal and no dishwasher, you could inject into the disposal, as is common with a dishwasher.

Is that nut on the slip joint tee

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Kitchen sink drains are notorious for grease clogs. That pic suggests this is not a new build so the drain might be in less than ideal condition.

Tie Minnow

Reaction score
The instructions from Morton say not to go over 8 feet high from the floor with the drain line. Do you think I am safe going to 10 feet from the floor? Other softeners say 8 feet from the discharge point on the softener.

Reach4

Reaction score
The instructions from Morton say not to go over 8 feet high from the floor with the drain line. Do you think I am safe going to 10 feet from the floor? Other softeners say 8 feet from the discharge point on the softener.
As I see it, what the softener backwash and brining works with is the difference in pressure at the water input and the drain output. If the softener can work with 30 psi coming in and zero backpressure at some point, the equipment should work the same with 40 psi coming in, and an extra 10 psi of backpressure.

I am trying to apply logic and physics, and I am not the one that warranty's your stuff.