Can I concrete around ABS?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by manintrees, Nov 5, 2009.

1. manintrees

manintrees New Member

I am building a bathroom in an unfinished basement and have removed a chunk of the slab to put in a shower and toilet. I have roughed in the plumbing and was wondering what I should do when it is time to pour the concrete. Should I wrap the ABS in something so the concrete doesn't contact it? Thanks for your time!
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Abs

Some areas around here want it tape/wrapped, but most do not. I have NEVER wrapped any ABS risers coming out of the concrete.
  3. manintrees

manintrees New Member

Thanks a bunch. This is a great site!
  4. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Architect

I usually wrap in a layer of that thin foam "sill seal". It allows me to jackhammer the concrete out if I need to and allows for expansion/contraction when it gets hot/cold. One inspector I dealt with required it...
  5. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Yep, either sill seal or they make a cap called a red had that keeps the concrete away from the pipe.
  6. manintrees

manintrees New Member

What a weird and fortunate coincidence. I assumed that something was needed so I wrapped the pipes in sill gasket a few days ago. I posted the thread to see if that would suffice. Thanks guys.