Calculating floor load capacity

Users who are viewing this thread

jcifjr

Reaction score
Can someone help me determine the floor load capacity of my bathroom?

I am planning on installing a 60" x 32 " whirlpool tub that specs say is 675 lbs or 51 lbs/sq ft.

Installation instructions say to use (3) 60 lbs bags of mortar as a base which is an additional 180lbs.

Add to both of these a 200 lbs man and the the total weight is 1055 lbs
or 79 lbs/sq ft.

My joists are 2 x 8 at 16oc and span 9.5 feet.
The tub will be installed paralell to the joists.

Will this be adequate support?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Hey..those are nice calculators! Anyone know of calculators available for metal building components? (C-channels, Z-Perlins, I-beams?)

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The joists will carry the load IF:

1. The joists are full joists and are not cut in any way.
2. The loads on the remaining part of the joists don't exceed the 40 pounds per square foot that is the design load for most residences.

That is not to say that the deflection is going to be acceptable for ceramic tile or other finishes. That variation in live load (the water and the man) will cause a lot of deflection that could cause cracking of tile, or cracking of a ceiling under the tub.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks