busted OS&y

Users who are viewing this thread

maplumber

Reaction score
i have a 3" jenkins OS&Y valve that turns but the stem doesnt rise up, so it is frozen in the off position. i cant replace the exact parts because jenkins got bought out years by another company and the parts are different. Any suggestions, or do i just replace the whole thing?

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
i have a 3" jenkins OS&Y valve that turns but the stem doesnt rise up, so it is frozen in the off position. i cant replace the exact parts because jenkins got bought out years by another company and the parts are different. Any suggestions, or do i just replace the whole thing?

Easer to replace the whole valve.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Os&y

That must mean that the stem turns when you rotate the handle, otherwise the stem would have to rise, even if the gate was broken off. IF that is the case, have you tried holding the stem stationary while turning the handle to force the stem to rise? It just might pull the gate up with it, even if it has broken loose from its anchor.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
That sounds like a floating gate valve,That is the gate is threaded onto stem
and the threads have detiorated to the point the stem will not pull the
gate up.You can remove the bonnet and pull the gate out by hand,but it
still has to be replaced.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks