Bulbs are humming

Users who are viewing this thread

VegasHomes

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good dimmer that will not cause the bulbs that are being dimmed from humming/buzzing?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You may need to experiment. First, I assume thesee are not fluorescent bulbs.
The humming could just be the bulb...the filament vibrates. Try a different brand of bulbs. But also, it could be the dimmer....for example many dimmers alter the sign wave shape of the AC voltage, to reduce the wattage to the bulb. But the filament doesn't like that. You might need a more expensive dimmer....OR try the very inexpensive ones, OR try a fan speed controller.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some dimmers chop the top of the sine wave off to adjust the power going to the bulb. Rather than being an nice smooth curve, that abrupt off, then reverse causes the filaments to ring, or humm. Most manufacturers do a good job of supporting the filaments so they don't humm at 60Hz, but what now looks like a square wave and that abrupt chop excites them like hitting a tuning fork. Sometimes, rough-service bulbs (like those designed for a garage door opener) have the filaments better supported, and they don't humm. It's trial and error (which can get expensive!) to find a pair of bulbs and dimmer that minimize the problem.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good dimmer that will not cause the bulbs that are being dimmed from humming/buzzing?

I'd say they are about to fail, but how many of them hum?
All the same brand?
Do they hum at full intensity or low intensity?
A 60 Hz hum like you hear if you put your ear to a wall transformer, or a higher frequency?

Johnny C

Electrician
Reaction score
Bulbs are Humming!

How about a little humor: The bulbs are humming because the don't know the words, just like a transformer! An oldy but goody. Some of us old guy still have a sense of humor, we don't have much more.

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
You could always use a variac :D

I once did a job for a company (back in the 90's) where I designed a fan motor controller that would drop whole half cycles so that the effective frequency would be dropped. It could only be set to a few different percentages due to the available patterns.

I'm guessing that is what some of the fan speed controllers do.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks