building a tub enclosure on an unlevel floor

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by timber, May 10, 2005.

1. timber

timber New Member

I'm trying to install a jetted tub in my basement. After the plumber roughed in the drain,etc and repoured the concrete, it appears that the floor is not quite level and has dips in it. I was wondering what i should do , if anything to compensate for height the when i build the enclosure for the drop-in tub.
    :eek:
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The tub does not hang from its edges, so the floor surface it sits on must be firm and make the edges level. Depending on the manufacturer, the best way to do that is often to set the tub in some mortar, mush it down so it is level, and then let it sit until it sets. This gives a nice firm bottom for the tub, makes it last longer, and just feels better. That mortar will compensate for any slight unevenness left from roughing the drain, unless it is really atrocious. My unprofessional opinion.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

unlevel

Build the enclosure level and do not worry about the floor.