Building a decorative fence

Users who are viewing this thread

rlsrlj

Reaction score
I found this pic of a decorative fence on the internet and I am trying to figure out how to build it. Any help on the size of lumber would be appreciated.

I am guessing the vertical slats are 1x6..but the "X" are 1x1's? would they fit in-between the horizontal 1X6's without the vertical ones falling out?

Thanks for any help!!!

Richard Decorative-Fence.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The horizontals are 2" stock, probably 2x4. 1x1s would NEVER create a long lived fence. At the very least they should be 1x2s installed "flat", with the 1" dimension exposed. You might have to glue everything, because it will be difficult to nail the trim items without them splitting. I might even laminate 1x4s on the outside with a 2x3 in the middle to create a "channel" for the verticals and crossbucks to fit into. Then you could use nails through the surfaces into the decorative pieces. It would also help cover up any miscuts.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Go to hd and get a few pieces of 2x4, 1x2,1x3,maybe 1x1, maybe 1x4 Have an afternoon lego party to see if you can piece together what you want.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks