Build up subfloor

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYorBust

Reaction score
There is currently a 1.5 inch differential between the subfloor in one room and the finish floor in the hallway. The finish floor for the room is expected to be 5/16th inch hardwood. That means I need to come up with about 1 and 3/16th inches to level the floor. I'd prefer to get the heights equal than use a transition, but no way is that going to cover 1+ inches.

So the question is, how can I most economically build up the subfloor? I can put plywood down, but 2 layers of 1/2 inch plywood is going to cost like 3 bucks a square foot! Should I tear up the subfloor and shim up the joists? Doesn't seem easy. Is there some other material I could use to underlay the floor?

This is not directly a plumbing question, but it's one that comes up in plumbing projects, so I was hoping you folks would have some thoughts!

Thanks!

DIY

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is currently a 1.5 inch differential between the subfloor in one room and the finish floor in the hallway. The finish floor for the room is expected to be 5/16th inch hardwood. That means I need to come up with about 1 and 3/16th inches to level the floor. I'd prefer to get the heights equal than use a transition, but no way is that going to cover 1+ inches.
In my limited experience (oak), 3/4" hardwood is not particularly more expensive than 5/16" flooring, for a given grade. So maybe just put down a layer of 3/4" plywood, then 3/4" hardwood.

If the 5/16" thickness is fixed, you could put down one layer of 1-1/8" plywood. That stuff is really heavy, so a layer of 1/2" and a layer of 5/8" might be easier to install.

Cheers, Wayne

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Using 3/4 inch wood flooring would be a different issue because of the style of floor, and pieces for the border. so it might be difficult to do that in 3/4. 1 and 1/8 plywood is available at lowes for 1.90/ sq foot! That appears to be the winner so far.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Yes but the border is 3/8ths. I've could get the border backed with 1 1/8th plywood and then get the 1.5" oak and try to sand them smooth, but would I save any money?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just providing the info in case you didn't have it. Now I'm curious, what kind of border is this?

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks