Brown Water After Night Time Recharge

Users who are viewing this thread

whitedavidp

Reaction score
Similar, perhaps, to this discussion... but a bit different. Maybe someone can offer insight and/or solution...

Our home was purchased, nearly new, some 12 years ago. We live on an island in the middle of Puget Sound and our water district uses wells. The water here is often hard and contains minerals such manganese, calcium, and some iron (so we are told).

So this is likely why our house came with a Kenmore UltraSoft 175 softener installed. It has generally worked quite well over the years - especially after I stopped using pellet salt and keeping more than 1 bag of salt in it at any one time. No more salt bridges.

But last summer, our water district did some maintenance work and this entailed supplying unfiltered water for many months. On occasions we had terrible water quality as seen in a white bucket at an outdoor spigot located before the water line enters our home. After getting the data released from our district we found that manganese particularly was, at times, over 4 times the MCL. Despite our best efforts to avoid it, we still got more than we wanted of this ugly water - sometimes the color of a dark beer but mostly the color of strong tea - inside our home. Thankfully, the project is over now and while we still get some discolored water, it is much better.

But in the aftermath of all of this we have regularly encountered dark brown water for a period virtually any time the night time recharge runs - which is not all that often. Usually we see it most in the toilet tank which is the closest fixture to the softener and usually the first water used in the morning after the recharge. Things seem to clear up after a time and multiple flushes.

But this makes me wonder if there is some filth trapped inside the softener that gets churned up during recharge and then settles back down after a while until the next cycle. And that makes me wonder if there is something I should do or have done to eliminate this and possibly avoid it causing problems in the future.

Your comments are appreciated. Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
Your comments are appreciated. Thanks!
I would put in a whole-house sediment filter. I like that even with no symptom, other than finding particles in aerator screens. I would lean toward one that can hold a PENTEK-DGD-5005-20 cartridge. It is best to have a bypass around a filter. I don't have that yet, but I keep an spare o-ring on hand. Without a bypass, a failed o-ring could put me out of water.

I hope it is just filterable sediment.

whitedavidp

Reaction score
I would put in a whole-house sediment filter. I like that even with no symptom, other than finding particles in aerator screens. I would lean toward one that can hold a PENTEK-DGD-5005-20 cartridge. It is best to have a bypass around a filter. I don't have that yet, but I keep an spare o-ring on hand. Without a bypass, a failed o-ring could put me out of water.

I hope it is just filterable sediment.

Thanks. I am actually looking into something like that. Need to figure out where I can put it and be able to service the thing. Would not want to have to crawl around under the house for this. Right now, I am worried about any damage done thus far and what to do about it.

I have read that some softeners allow you to program (within limits) how long the back flush period is but I cannot seem to find that on my Kenmore unit. Was thinking that longer might help.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
A good resin cleaning should help.

Add several pounds of citric acid to a gallon of hot water (use appropriate safety precautions), pour it into the salt tank and regenerate. You may need to repeat this a couple times to get the majority of the junk out.

whitedavidp

Reaction score
A good resin cleaning should help.

Add several pounds of citric acid to a gallon of hot water (use appropriate safety precautions), pour it into the salt tank and regenerate. You may need to repeat this a couple times to get the majority of the junk out.

Hi and thanks for this response. I think I have seen this mentioned somewhere else too. I see products like shown here. Is this what you mean?

Also, should I remove the salt and any brine water first?

And once done, perhaps several times, what do I do to make sure the citric acid is completely flushed from the softener? Don't want it coming into the house plumbing.

Cheers

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks