broken screw

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by clueless, Nov 8, 2004.

1. clueless

clueless New Member

Nov 8, 2004
    The handle on the hot water in my tub fell off and I discovered that the screw that connected it to the what I believe you call the stem had broken off inside. I was hopeing someone here could help me on the tools I would need as well as the steps I should take to fix it. In comparision to some of the problems I've seen in other posts my problem seem so small. Thanks in advance.
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Aug 31, 2004
    San Diego
    If you were fortunate,when the screw broke off it left enough of the shank sticking out of the stem to get a hold of with a pair of vice grips. If it broke flush, you can try to drill it out and retap the threads, but really it will be easier to just get a new stem.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

If I really need to get the screw out without replacing the stem, I take a mini hacksaw and cut a ring around the stem about 3/16" from the end. Once I have cut through to the screw, but not through the screw, I unscrew that piece and either the screw comes with it, or there is enough sticking out to remove with pliers.
  5. Bob's HandyGuy

Bob's HandyGuy Senior Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Yeah, what hj said. Or you can just cut a notch with the hacksaw diagonal to the stem and screw. You then use a small slotted screwdriver that fits within the diameter of the screw to turn it out.
  6. drtedave

drtedave New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Director of Operations Management
    New Jersey
    Screw Extractor Set

There is a specialty tool made to extract screws. It is a bit-like devise that fits into your drill or power screw driver. The set runs less than $20.00. Or you could look for the individual bit based on the size you need. Smaller sets run around $13.00.

10 pc. Screw Extractor Set

Includes 5 screw extractors and 5 drill bits (No. 1 through 5, bits 5/64 in., 7/64 in., 5/32 in., 1/4 in. and 17/64 in.) to remove broken screws, bolts