Braided SS supplies

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by WoodyD, Sep 29, 2012.

1. WoodyD

WoodyD New Member

Has anyone else experienced failures of the braided stainless steel type water heater hoses? Had one that was only 3 years old start to leak. I've been doing some internet searches, and it seems that at least some of these are poorly made. Leakage occurs at the couplings, which are often no better than the cheap rubber or plastic hoses. Looking to find out if this was an isolated incident or a trend. Thanks all-
  2. we use the brass craft brand which is the best on the market ..
    we probably go through a few hundred a year.... with no problems

other brands from the hardware stores have rarely given me problems
    but that is probably what you got yourself into
  3. Runs with bison

Runs with bison Member

Haven't used ones specifically for water heaters, but have had leaks as you describe from one made for washers and a particularly nasty blow out in one connected to a kitchen faucet.
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Everyone around here used all copper flex lines to connect water heaters. Never reuse one, always replace if disconnecting the line for any reason.
  5. WoodyD

WoodyD New Member

Yeah Mark- mine was an Ace Hardware store brand, have also heard the Watts brand from the big orange place has been problematic. I think it's just the cheaper consumer brands that are causing the problems. Brasscraft looks like good stuff.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

I ALWAYS use the corrugated copper flex lines for water heaters. THat way I do not have to depend on a "vinyl" liner to not leak.