Braided DW line leak. have you ever seen this??

Users who are viewing this thread

Monimom

Reaction score
Good Morning,
I am perplexed , hopefully someone here can help, bear with the length of this it might get wordy..
Our dishwasher braided line began leaking under the sink I assumed something had likely punctured it so I began to remove it, made mental notes of 2 things that are now possible clues to the mystery,

1: when I unscrewed the connection under the sink the location where the line looped and made contact with itself seemed stuck together, and I felt a barb of the braid...upon inspection it looked like something possibly dripped on it...

2: when I unscrewed the connection under the dishwasher the line emitted a strong chemical smell...

Ok, so I tossed it aside and proceeded to install a brand new line , all went beautiful no leaks at all, I didn't run the dishwasher after install only opened water line, and turned breaker back on, I left for an hour , returned and found a small puddle.... said WTF to myself, and checked all connections ,, everything is dry... I then trace the line by eye and see the braided line leaking under right rear where it exits cabinet entering under dishwasher... how could this be ?? its brand new !!
So I cut the power, uninstall line and find the line has a glob that looks ike a glob of glue but is actually melted,(see pic)

my memory of the first line had similar marks so I retrieved it from trash , and sure enough it did, but the location seemed to be different, also remember the 2 clues above...

So.... I unhook electrical , drain and remove dishwasher from cabinet to do some detective work, expecting to easily fine the culprit..
.No Such Luck...
all I can see I laid out the new line and traced the run to see where the melted spot could've made contact , only possibility is the frame of dishwasher....
the line isn't pinched , kinked or crushed back there by the frame , and it definitely looks like a melted cut line .

could there be any chance electricity is involved in this such as a stray current, short etc?? I am so stumped , any takers on a guess ???
thanks !!

Attachments

• 20190718_052600.jpg
    20190718_052600.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 232
  • 20190718_052611.jpg
    20190718_052611.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 196

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
My guess is that your dishwasher frame is "live/hot", but NOT grounded. If so you have been lucky not to touch it and the sink, faucet, or other ground, at the same time. If that is the case, there would have been an "arc" when the water line, which is grounded, touched the "hot' frame causing the leak.

Monimom

Reaction score
My guess is that your dishwasher frame is "live/hot", but NOT grounded. If so you have been lucky not to touch it and the sink, faucet, or other ground, at the same time. If that is the case, there would have been an "arc" when the water line, which is grounded, touched the "hot' frame causing the leak.
That's the thing it is grounded the copper wire was securely attached to the green ground screw when I disconnected the power supply all the wiring was nice and tight with no possibility of contact this has been installed and operational for quite some time that's what's got me perplexed this is not a new install

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
Pretty easy to check. Meter from braid to dishwasher frame. I assume you have metal pipes also which should be grounded. Any DIY activity lately?

Monimom

Reaction score
Pretty easy to check. Meter from braid to dishwasher frame. I assume you have metal pipes also which should be grounded. Any DIY activity lately?
Only DIY was to clean under and replace toe kick, it had been off for a year, we had new flooring installed.

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you power the dishwasher via an outlet? Plug a hairdryer into that outlet, and see if it works at full power.