Bradford White Power Vent - what if vent fails?

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by akcarrigan, Apr 6, 2014.

1. akcarrigan

akcarrigan New Member

Hi all, I have a Bradford White water heater with a power vent. Over the past few months, we have noticed that the fan kicks on, then off, then on, then off, then on finally for an extended period of time. I checked to see if the unit was lighting each time, and when I checked it was not. I am now concerned about what happens if the power vent fails, do these units have some sort of sensor that will shut the whole tank down if it is not venting correctly? Will it continue to operate if the vent isnt operational? I have multiple carbon monoxide detectors through the house, but still the thought of the power vent failing concerns me. Any advice anyone has would be appreciated!! Oh yes, unit is atleast 12 years old.

Thank you in advance for your time,
    -A
  2. get a new heater

the vent is probably ok..

you have got a pressure switch
    problem with the unit....in which case I would
    not throw much time or money at it being over 12 years old..

it will keep doing this till it finally wears itself out so you should
    find a plumber and have them install you a new one..

3. akcarrigan

akcarrigan New Member

One more question

Thank you for replying. We will plan for a new heater, but in the mean time, if the power vent fails, will the water heater shut down because it senses that it is not venting correctly, or are we at risk of it continuing to run without the vent operating and not adequately venting?